German zeltbahn

I wonder if is possible that german forces receive the zeltbahn as a clothes for wearing, and not only as a complement for carrying on the back. It could be used as standard piece in maps with rain or with wet condictions, but also as a random clothing in any other maps, since the zeltbahn was used often as a camouflage sistem, in fact, it was as used as camo smock which there is in game currently.

A nifty idea that I approve of, but I somehow doubt it will be implemented in the way I imagine it should be: loose and slick with rain.

Because while I haven't touched a modeling program since my early days of collage, I remember fondly how much of a pain in the rear getting loose dangley bits of cloth to do what you want in game engines (I was making a knight in a splendid surcoat for Unreal Tournament 2004). while game engines are much more complex now a days and can handle that stuff, i'm fairly sure CM2 isn't one of those, heck the total war engine can't even do that and they aren't a little Independent studio like battlefront is.

Now it could be implemented in a more tight less draping fashion much like the greatcoats in FI and FB, but looking at the historical photographs and illustrations they look kinda baggy, which while isn't an issue might cause some weird stretching to occur in certain animations, but that's only a minor annoyance I guess?

either way still a lot of modeling work for BF to do, considering you have to make a couple variations of each and then variations of those with different kit.

Edited by Cobetco

22 minutes ago, Cobetco said:

A nifty idea that I approve of, but I somehow doubt it will be implemented in the way I imagine it should be: loose and slick with rain.

Because while I haven't touched a modeling program since my early days of collage, I remember fondly how much of a pain in the rear getting loose dangley bits of cloth to do what you want in game engines (I was making a knight in a splendid surcoat for Unreal Tournament 2004). while game engines are much more complex now a days and can handle that stuff, i'm fairly sure CM2 isn't one of those, heck the total war engine can't even do that and they aren't a little Independent studio like battlefront is.

Now it could be implemented in a more tight less draping fashion much like the greatcoats in FI and FB, but looking at the historical photographs and illustrations they look kinda baggy, which while isn't an issue might cause some weird stretching to occur in certain animations, but that's a minor issue i guess?

either way still a lot of modeling work for BF to do, considering you have to make a couple variations of each and then variations of those with different kit.

You're right, I believe that the main problem with it would be modeling the cloth in the 3D engine, I am not a game programmer and probably it isn't easy to do. But really, if it'd be possible it will be a great addition for all Combat Missions based in WW2 that we've currently.

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

On a second thought, I wonder if the Zeltbahn was really worn in actual battle situations, as we have them in CM. I can imagine, it is not the most practical garment on a battlefield. Probably difficult to move with, difficult to access your kit, etc.

Well, we have dozens of pictures in books and internet which we can see full units equipped with zeltbahn along all the war, but specially during the Bocage campaign (for that I opened this thread here).
I suppose that they used it in combat (and not only posing for the picture) same that, for example, GIs worn greatcoat in Bastogne, or Germans had worn parkas during the wild combats in Russia. A soldier always will fight better if he is dry and hot.
About the zelthbahn funcionality, well I never used one of them, but you can see in pictures that the access to the soldier's equipment is not a problem, really it was placed on the uniform but not covering the kit, as is usual in the ponchos, because the equipment was carried on the zeltbahn.
The movements don't appear a problem; it covered shoulders but not the whole arm, maybe the only issue was for running because it was covering part of the thighs. But don't forget that the other main fuction of the zeltbahn was as camouflage, and remind for example the snipers, they don't need to run, only not be watched.

17 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

Well, we have dozens of pictures in books and internet which we can see full units equipped with zeltbahn along all the war, but specially during the Bocage campaign (for that I opened this thread here).
I suppose that they used it in combat (and not only posing for the picture) same that, for example, GIs worn greatcoat in Bastogne, or Germans had worn parkas during the wild combats in Russia. A soldier always will fight better if he is dry and hot.
About the zelthbahn funcionality, well I never used one of them, but you can see in pictures that the access to the soldier's equipment is not a problem, really it was placed on the uniform but not covering the kit, as is usual in the ponchos, because the equipment was carried on the zeltbahn.
The movements don't appear a problem; it covered shoulders but not the whole arm, maybe the only issue was for running because it was covering part of the thighs. But don't forget that the other main fuction of the zeltbahn was as camouflage, and remind for example the snipers, they don't need to run, only not be watched.

Fair enough. I just wondered about the relevance.

And I agree, I'd like to see them in the game.