I think I found a bug in unit information sharing

In the scenario Kampfgruppe Engel, I noticed that several units in the Kampfgruppe are unable to share spotting with Kampfgruppe Engel HQ.

This happens even though they are in radio contact (both units have radios, C2 info panel shows the little green dot).

The problem only occurs with some units. These problem units display no red line to HQ, and clicking on the HQ name in the C2 panel will not centre camera view on the HQ as it normally does. All units are OK, stationary, radio operators are alive, and the radio is working.

The King Tiger for example is supposedly connected directly to K.E. and shows the little green dot. But when clicking on the Tiger, no red line appears to HQ, and no information will be shared, even after waiting 30 minutes. Manually moving a unit with spotting info close to a unit having working C2 with K.E. transferred info to Engel in less than 10 seconds.

Is this working as designed? If it's something about the rag-tag nature of a Kampfgruppe, I would expect the C2 button to be red when out of contact zu dem Hauptmann.

I also noticed that these problem units don't even get connection to Kampfgruppe Engel HQ when they are standing next to each other in the same square.

It seems all these units are connected to another HQ with the same name but off-map.

This "ghost HQ" will never share any spotting info.

The command links can be, "intriguing". ;) I'll fire up KGE and see if I can duplicate what you're mentioning. (And dive into the the editor. That's how you can see the OOB and determine command relationships.) But, it'll be hours yet before I get to it. (Miles to go and promises to keep...)

Ken

After digging more into this, I think the problem is actually that there's not just one "ghost HQ", but many.

The problem units all have different superior command levels beyond Kampfgruppe Engel, because they come from different parent regiments.

So, it seems as if the game thinks each of these units is connected to its own personal off-map Kampgruppe Engel, which again is connected to a different regiment:

Pioneer platoon -> Kampfgruppe Engel1 -> Parent Regiment1

SS infantry platoon ->Kampgruppe Engel2 -> Parent Regiment2

King Tiger -> Kampfgruppe Engel3 -> Parent Regiment3