The Best War Movie

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TR12:

Anyone seen 'A long days dieing' about 3 British Paras stuck behind German lines. Now that was a gritty no holds barred film.

The killing was really personal and it brings home the horrors of war. I believe it stared David Hemmings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never heard of this one. Have to check it out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen 'A long days dieing' about 3 British Paras stuck behind German lines. Now that was a gritty no holds barred film.

The killing was really personal and it brings home the horrors of war. I believe it stared David Hemmings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh I saw it TR12, a great little movie with all the right armaments (if only small arms) & I especially liked that long barrelled Mauser pistol with the attached stock that the German para was using. As for our "hero" (read anti-hero) he was particularly adept at the old needle through the heart trick wasn't he.

Regards

Jim R.

Guest kking199

Well I wasn't going to but i will post a few thoughts. The "best" war movie is defined by what?!?! Acting, Action, historically accurate, real props (ie. real tanks)!?!? It is up to you. My thoughts.

Battle of the Bulge... loved as a kid, cheesy to me now.

SPR... already been said, own the DVD, just explain why you send a medic to flush a MG position?!!?

Patton... great acting, good action

A Bridge Too Far... despite All-Star cast well done, bit disjointed as a movie, highly recommend the book.

Platoon... tough one, but pretty intense.

Few not mentioned but would recommend (if you are a WWII junky):

Merril's Marauder's (pretty good)

To Hell and Back, supposed true story of Audey Murphy, acted by Murphy, pretty good action scenes, can be a bit corny.

The Bridge at Remagen, I remember this as being good, been a while since I have seen it.

The Eagle Has Landed, I really like this one, good action sequences at end of flick.

Before I get lambasted for "Thin Red Line"

The Thin Red Line as History

How does Terrence Malick's 1998 war movie "The Thin Red Line" hold up against history...seemingly pretty good. Those of us who have seen the movie will remember the epic infantry attack on a ridge somewhere on the island of Guadalcanal. The following is an abridged version of the actual attack conducted by the 27th Infantry Regiment, of the 25th Infantry Division, January 1943.

From: Graeme Kent, “Guadalcanal Island Ordeal” Ballantines Illustrated History of the Violent Century, 1971

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When the bombing was over, the American troops went forward. The 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry advanced on the area known as 'Galloping Horse'. To the left of 1st Battalion, the '3rd Battalion also went forward, encountering some opposition. Both battalions then dug in for the night. The same pattern was repeated the following morning. After an opening artillery fusillade the infantrymen went forward. This time the 3rd Battalion encountered trouble. Short of water (fresh supplies did not arrive until noon) men began to collapse in the heat. The battalion commander, Lieutenant-Colonel George E Bush, ordered his men to withdraw. As the Americans did so, the Japanese came forward with 90mm mortars, killing a number of the Americans. The next morning the 3rd Battalion was pulled out of the line and replaced by the 2nd Battalion, commanded by Lt. Col Herbert V. Mitchell (Nick Nolte’s Character).

trl17.jpg

Nick Nolte as Lt. Col Herbert V. Mitchell

thin_red_line2s.jpg

The 27th Infantrys Attack onto "The Galloping Horse" Position

The battalion, attacked, up the southern slope of the 'Galloping Horse' area but was pinned down by accurate Japanese machine gun fire. It was a day of confusion but also of individual heroism. The two companies of the 2nd Battalion, existing without water for the greater part of the day, under constant fire from Japanese heavy and light machine guns, tried In vain to go forward. After a time the battalion Executive Officer, Captain Charles W Davis (John Cusak’s Character), managed to take a three-man patrol 'forward and locate the machine gun sites before returning.

trl22.jpg

John Cusak as Captain Charles W Davis

On the following morning, 13th January, just before noon, Davis took another patrol forward, this time consisting of five men. They crept to within ten yards of the Japanese machine guns and then, watched by hundreds of Americans on adjacent ridges, charged the guns and put them out of action. Seeing this, the rest of the battalion also went forward and drove the Japanese from their position on 'Galloping Horse'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The following Photograph and map are From: “After The Battle” Magazine No 108, editor Winston Ramsey

thin_red_line1s.jpg

thin_red_line1.jpg

The Real Hill

thin_red_line3.jpg

2nd Battalion Attack

CMH write up from: U.S. Army Center of Military History Full-text Listings of Medal of Honor Citations

URL: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiia1.htm

DAVIS, CHARLES W.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Army, 25th Infantry Division. Place and date: Guadalcanal Island, 12 January 1943. Entered service at: Montgomery, Ala. Birth: Gordo, Ala. G.O. No.: 40, 17 July 1943. Citation: For d1stinguishing himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy on Guadalcanal Island. On 12 January 1943, Maj. Davis (then Capt.), executive officer of an infantry battalion, volunteered to carry instructions to the leading companies of his battalion which had been caught in crossfire from Japanese machineguns. With complete disregard for his own safety, he made his way to the trapped units, delivered the instructions, supervised their execution, and remained overnight in this exposed position. On the following day, Maj. Davis again volunteered to lead an assault on the Japanese position which was holding up the advance. When his rifle jammed at its first shot, he drew his pistol and, waving his men on, led the assault over the top of the hill. Electrified by this action, another body of soldiers followed and seized the hill. The capture of this position broke Japanese resistance and the battalion was then able to proceed and secure the corps objective. The courage and leadership displayed by Maj. Davis inspired the entire battalion and unquestionably led to the success of its attack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thin_red_lineSKULL.jpg

Color Images Are all from: Terrence Malick's "Thin Red Line"

Just another thing on this great little film. From memory (please correct me if I'm wrong) the main British Para character was played by Anthony Hopkins no less and not David Hemmings, but it has been a long time since I've seen the film.

Regards

Jim R.