Wargame. Doctor's orders!

• 3 weeks later...

JoMC67,

Thanks for your support! I deeply appreciate it. It is really frustrating not just to have great CM games to play, but eager opponents waiting, yet only marginal ability to play at all. Positive note? My ~131 y.o. in cyber years computer is still holding together! Had expected to be able to replace it nearly a year ago.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's coming up on two months since I've last been able to play, I took up the matter of my current inability to play CM with my doctor. He suggested checkers and chess, but when I mentioned my predicament to brother Charles, he suggested a board game called SET, which has phenomenal creds. Has anyone played this? Judging from what I've seen, it appears to be helpful in sharpening a bunch of things where I've unfortunately become generally dull.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Am set with SET, so to speak, though I've yet to play it. Brother Ed has a set of SET, and the family plays it super quick. He characterized it as "cutthroat." Skimmed reviews on Amazon, and in one family, several people at once are hollering "SET," so now a bell is used to unambiguously show who got there first.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Have just played my first few games of SET--solitaire, which is awkward. As suggested, I started with the short deck, which doesn't incorporate shading. I then moved on to the full deck. I can do this, but I'm not quick, and it can be quite demanding. Don't know if such a thing is possible, but I can feel the right side of my brain burn. This game works it hard! I see no way in which continuing can hurt me (other than a headache) and am convinced it will indeed help rewire the parts of my brain needed to play CM. I expect playing SET will reduced the interval between CM play.

Regards,

John Kettler

My set to with SET continues, but the right side of my my brain burns every time I play. I know I need to create new neural circuits, but I never expected to find my brain operating somewhat like a DVD burner!  I firmly believe the game is helping and strongly recommend it to anyone else out there recovering from a TBI. Am getting better each time I play, but I have yet to play vs human. Shall see whether I can avoid going deer in the headlights under instant decision stress.

Did dip very briefly into CMFB in response to something Bulletpoint said about CMFB graphics. Wasn't playing, so that probably took most of the strain out of seeing the force arrayed in the setup zone, and a few quick Move orders paved the way for a couple of screenshots showing off CMFB's impressive graphics, which completely eclipse those of CMBB. They look great even on my antiquated rig.

Is the above evidence of some major breakthrough in terms of my ability to play CM? No. It's my opinion, though, that it is a useful indicator of progress. Maybe I should have a crack at finishing the current CMBS QB? Presuming anyone cares, including me!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Alert the media! After being unable to play CMBS (or any CM at all) since August 30, 2016, and feeling wretched, not to mention with my bandwidth tied up on the third attempt to get a usable download of the super duper Upgrade Package, I got the insane notion to try CMBS again. Incredibly, I could play and finished the infernal QB!

Replaying the last turn indicated it was probably a good thing the auto cannon vs ATGM use logic hadn't been fixed, for my rearward Abrams came under burst after burst of the latter. About 30 long seconds of it, which apparently had some sort of disruptive effect and put my sans smoke Abrams into reverse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmh2mmozzozof6m/Screenshot 2017-01-25 02.53.27.png?dl=0

But right before the mighty 120 was masked, this happened, and the turn ended.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoaxhulwac0bikz/Screenshot 2017-01-25 02.54.11.png?dl=0

After assessing the situation, which was stalemate at best (no infantry on the Major Objective, just the Battalion HQ Abrams with CO and crew conducting dismounted recon, and a somewhat shot up (in the all-important FC functions) Abrams to the rear, thus no means of securing further objectives and clearly facing more hostile units, I opted for a Cease Fire. This resulted in...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ycn6oxnhovovw2/Screenshot 2017-01-25 03.01.49.png?dl=0

Situation map when it's all over, with Allied Minor Victory achieved. Dead Abrams but live Rattled crew in my deep backfield not shown.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivmgnp6yh41kgyh/Screenshot 2017-01-25 03.03.37.png?dl=0

As you can see, I made a wise decision, for that is a brace of very much alive vengeful T-90AMs in yon wood line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fa07hldllqzxsk/Screenshot 2017-01-25 03.05.04.png?dl=0

I had several shots showing battle honors, but something went wrong. What it boils down to is my chewed on Abrams way outperformed the boss, getting two tank kills, a BTR-80(?) kill, a BMP-3 kill and 7 infantry. The Battalion CO killed an SP mortar carrier and maybe 3 infantry. Something like that. The Abrams that died first achieved nothing, likewise the Bradley which made the first push for the Major Objective. Though both sides failed on seizing Objectives, I think occupying the Major Objective was the margin of the win. I killed more of his force than he did of mine, but I believe I still would've lost, though I don't know how badly.

Here endeth mine DAR/AAR for perhaps the most protracted QB in CM history.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Though it didn't happen as far as my fighting the battle, I did take a peek at "An August Morning" following hours on end editing of one of my long-delayed book projects. With the parameters set as recommended with Blue (moi) vs the AI, I looked at the ground and gagged. Nothing quite like coming down an exposed slope in broad daylight! What happened to all that "We own the night" business? Am going to have to revisit this some other time--when I haven't already burned up all my brain points. From the looks of it, though, 'tis fortunate indeed I'll get some help. Won't say more, lest I blow FOW.

Stay tuned, for I'm determined to get another game going. This process is greatly aided by the recent trebling of RAM to 12 GB and making a gigantic OS leap from the very old OS X 10.7.5 Lion to the glorious OS Sierra 10.12.3. If you can believe it, I'm now current with the latests Macs! The game loads much faster than before, and anything I do happens far, quicker, too. Less stress on me and less time wasted fighting the computer. Now, if I could only get the landlord to do as he's promised repeatedly and put in hard wired internet! Not that the last affects my ability to play solo. Just everything else I do, pretty much.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

JoMc67,

There has been a strong positive development recently on the cognitive front for me. I've begun doing real reading, as opposed to Tom Clancy military techno-thrillers, again. Have five in process presently and just finished one! Not long ago, I was hard pressed to read more than four pages of anything substantive in a book. Writing productivity has improved, too. Just as well, for I'm behind! Am hoping this bodes well for my ability to play CM soon with reasonable frequency. Would be nice to have a PBEM for the first time in I shudder to think how long. 

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 months later...

JoMc67,

While the book reading extravaganza was, alas, a fleeting phenomenon, there has been a development recently which gives me real hope. After barely being able to do anything generally, and very little when it came to serious reading and writing, something astounding happened on May 18 in the afternoon.. Didn't feel great after getting up late on the morning of the 18th, yet somehow got through 45 pages of a legal opinion, followed about an hour later by a marathon writing session during which I wrote twelve (12) pages for one of my nonfiction books, despite doing significant research on the fly, too! Was a complete wreck the next day, but that night the writing bug hit me again, to the tune of four more pages! 16 pages in two days eclipse several months of writing. Wednesday night I wrote for four hours straight, producing three pages of article for the Trust. Now, if the CM neural circuits would be inspired by their writing siblings!

Regards,

John Kettler