Roster?

what is a roster? An OOB of things you have on the map? I have no clue what was bieng talked about on that locked thread!!

Just explain what it is, Then ill be able to better form my own opinion on the locked thread!

Thanks alot

p.s Lock this up after answer, I don't want to start a fight! If it does, sorry to be a bother BTS. BTW I was reading this forum in september onwards(I lurked), and I still think it is a good forum.

*chuckle*.

Aye, a roster is, in its simplest form, a simple LIST of all the units on the map.

E.g. A0... Bn HQ

A1 Company HQ

B0 Platoon HQ

B1 Rifle Squad

etc etc.

Ps, You can't just request a thread to be locked up after an answer.. It'll be locked up if things get heated. Otherwise I'm sure it'll stay open.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smack:

what is a roster? An OOB of things you have on the map? I have no clue what was bieng talked about on that locked thread!!

Just explain what it is, Then ill be able to better form my own opinion on the locked thread!

Thanks alot

p.s Lock this up after answer, I don't want to start a fight! If it does, sorry to be a bother BTS. BTW I was reading this forum in september onwards(I lurked), and I still think it is a good forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And now a new thread about "What is a roster" biggrin.gif !!

Fionn, I DO AGREE with your definition... BUT you only define the "simplest form". Some people do want more complex forms...can you explain ?

Oh, this time I'm bound to be humorous smile.gif

Fionn,

I'll respond here since the other thread is locked.

Personal attacks aside. I did not intend to imply that that flamewar and all that went with it were amusing as in ha-ha funny. More as in ludicrous funny. Pathetic. In fact, I was one of the posters who advised that the BOTH of you cease and desist. Perhaps you can appreciate the distinction.

I too have had my run-ins with Mark and understand the whole situation. However, some of the blame must rest on you for some of your responses.

I'll let the personal attacks go since you did misunderstand me.

You did not answer my most important question. Are you a programmer?

My main point was not that adding to the interface is simple or not so simple, but that the programming arguments probably should come from Steve and Charles.

I don't mind being disagreed with. I have not blasted you with scathing invective. Perhaps you could agree to disagree with me on a more polite level.

If not, that's ok. I'm not looking to prove anything. Just discussing.

As a peace offering, I would be willing to face off in a PBEM so that we could offer a running commentary on me getting my rear handed to me on a plate.

Oh my God, PLEASE... when a thread is locked up, don't just start a new one on the same subject!! =)

If you want to know what the debate is on the roster, read these threads (the names are approximate):

1) Interface needs work

2) I want a roster, a roster! Vote!!

3) Roster war, ceasefire

Just because a thread is locked doesn't mean you can't read it. And many thanks to Steve for restating BTS's position at the end of the last thread.

Now let's please let it be - we don't want this thread to become no.4 in the argument!

David

What is a roster, you ask? In its simplest form, a roster is an object that is sure to start a flame war between grogs in their efforts to prove their manhood to each other, most likely by demonstrating why their style of play is superior.

Sidebar: EVERYONE knows that my style is the best...just ask anyone else that's posted to a "roster" thread and they'll tell you "I know which style is best..."

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif (in case you missed my dry sense of humo(u)r...)

Edit: nonspelling idiot

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 08-10-2000).]

Personally, I never play without donning full battledress and helmet, and loading up with 40-odd magazines for my Bren gun. Then I fill the room with ankle-deep mud and ask my neighbours to toss grenades through the window every couple of minutes. If I ask very nicely, sometimes they'll operate the computer while I shout instructions at them from my foxhole.

I wonder how long before Edinburgh Flying Club starts to miss that plane I shot down? Well, it was his own fault - he didn't have invasion stripes or anything.

Hah, I'd love to see you carry more than about 6 bren mags on you. If you're cheating and storing them in your small pack, then your sgt. will surely curse you for leaving your mess tin and rain cloack behind!

Actually, I was wondering, did an American squad operate like a Brtish one in that EVERYONE in the squad carries ammo for the support weapon, or did they usually just have an 'A' gunner assigned and none of the rest of the squad was burdened?

To give this reply some link to the question at hand, I would personally love to see a roster implemented for ease of troop management...I can barely bring myself to play a REALLY large scenario because of the hassle of searching for each individual unit when all I want is a status overview of my troops...

Onnel

David Aitken Wrote:

>Personally, I never play without donning >full battledress and helmet, and loading up .with 40-odd magazines for my Bren gun.

[This message has been edited by Onnel (edited 08-10-2000).]

I was asking a simple question because I didnt really know what a roster was! I was hoping that this would not start an argument and if it did I said sorry to be a bother, David Aitkin I said specifically I did not want to start a fight! I am sorry for not entirely understanding the posts about the roster wars, I asked a question and it got answered. Other people came in here and began to fight again. I went so far as to ask BTS to lock the thread so it wouldnt start a fight after it was answered. So Mr Aitkin you know that I did not want and tried very hard to prevent more fighting on this subject, next time I can't understand what somethings about during an argument that has been locked I will post. WHY? Because I am not making a comment or siding from pro-Roster to Anti-Roster I am just merely stating a nuetral question. It shouldnt have started an argument, but it did, thats not my fault. next time please read my post! You would have seen that I was very careful about not siding with anyone and was very careful not to start a fight. It was very politly answered by Fionn, thats all I wanted.

Thank you

p.s- I did not mean to insult anyone during this post, especially Mr Aitkin. I just don't understand how a simple question on what a roster is could cause this much problems. Its childish in my opinion....BTW Im still Neutral!

Smack -

If you'd read MY post, you would have seen the light-hearted tone and the use of smilies. It's just a useful point of order that when a thread is locked up, you should NEVER start a new thread on the same topic. BAD idea. =)

The normal thing to do would be to read the thread in question. Admittedly the one on rosters may be somewhat impenetrable, but the information is there. If it doesn't make any sense to you, best to leave it be. =)

You say we've started fighting here... we haven't as far as I can tell. For the benefit of everybody:

** Please do not continue the roster discussion here. Any such discussion will lead to a flamewar and the inevitable padlocking of the thread, which is never a nice thing to see. If you are interested in the subject, read the three threads I have listed above, and especially the post from Steve at the end of the third. Thankyou! **

Mr Aitkin I did read your post, I did not take it personnaly at all. I hope you did not take mine personnally either smile.gif. My main aim was to just say why I was posting the question, I wanted clarification on what was bieng said, I got it. BTW I also wanted this thread to be closed during my very first post. I once again say close the thread, It was pointless after Fionn's response, the question was answered, no need to post anymore. And I don't beleive there is any harm of asking a neutral question after an argument and then asking it to be locked up after the question is answered as I had originally asked...

Thank you

As Fionn says, you can't ask for a thread to be locked, so don't post on that premise. This thread may run off at some tangent, in which case there would be no problem. But if it continues on the subject of rosters, it'll probably get locked up - just not before the flamewar has got well underway.

David

I can't resist taking up the cause of Justice once again.

tss, Sir, a supoena will be served upon you shortly for disparaging a long and honored profession named "lawyers" who are NOT bureaucrats. You have the right to remain silent and to be guilty as charged. Res ipsa loquitur.

No, lawyers are more like buccaneers and pirates, except that we are like Robin Hood in that we take from the rich and... and... and.. Well, I forget the last part.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Lawyer (edited 08-10-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

** Please do not continue the roster discussion here. Thankyou! **<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We could, but that is merely a suggestion, talk about hamsters again. e.g. the evil Hamster Liberation Front that has taken Ethan hostage, which unfortunately did not stop him from sending me another thread of the Cavalry ops, that I loath and wish to the lemmings. If however the HLF has taken over the management of his PBEMs, I think I can detect a slight improvement in troop management, but am not quite sure, then we all can expect mayhem and superior gameplay to what we were used before.

Lawyer, what is a lawyer and ten Hamsters, you may ask. Not enough Hamsters... I need a lie-down.

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy wrote:

> We could, but that is merely a suggestion, talk about hamsters again.

Are you sure that's the Hamster Liberation Front, as opposed to the Front for Hamster Liberation?

Still, you should never underestimate those hamsters. If I may quote from my extensive knowledge on the subject of Hamsters In Action, 1939-45:

On September 15th, 1944, an entire battalion of battle-hardened Waffen SS soldiers simply routed and ran away in the face of an attack from the 5th Division, King's Own Football Hooligans. The reputation of this formidable division has long taken credit for the Germans' loss of heart, but new evidence suggests an entirely different reason.

Hamsters.

It is understood that, for the previous week, the SS Battalion billets had been infested with the creatures. On the eve of the British assault, Company commander Wolfgang an dem Schwarzwaldekirschtorten cracked, proclaiming "Diese teufel Hamsters! I vill getoten every last vun of them!". What happened next is unclear, but when Sergeant Bob Diddeley jumped down from his Humber scout car, he landed in what he could only describe as "An SS uniform, filled with some kind of green gunk". The German battalion was recorded as being 40% of its original strength from that day onwards.

Pascal,

I defined the simplest form because if I were to define every permutation and wishlist item related to rosters It'd just get all confusing again.

Also, I only happen to favour a relatively simple roster and not the "swiss army knife roster" some people seem to want.

fdiskboy,

Ok, I agree to the PBEM. Drop me a line. I believe my email is in my profile. As for the Sterner thing... Sure, I got upset.. So would anyone when someone threatens to start sueing them for something tiny. AND I'll say again that your phrasing in the previous thread sure made it seem like you were a "side-line cackler". I only responded to what you wrote and the obvious inference from that.

As for programming. Only a little. I have dabbled wink.gif. Not enough to do much worthwhile but enough to understand object-oriented programming, inter-relations etc etc.

David,

LOL. Good one.. Ps. I hope you also ask them to shoot you if you lose, or at least lock you in a damp cupboard for a few years wink.gif.

Onnel,

Nah, his sergeant would probably kiss him once he realises that being able to lay down suppressive fire is more important than carrying a mess kit. Anyways, you can always take one off the dead. There's always lots of dead guys around after battle.

Smack,

I wouldn't worry about a fight.. Most people in this thread are just taking the piss out of eachother wink.gif. ( I hasten to add that this taking the piss is NOT, in any way, related to golden showers etc.. although I've heard rumours about Lewis related to this... "proclivity" wink.gif ).

Lawyer,

You take from the rich and... pocket it thus becoming the rich yourselves wink.gif.

As a medical professional I must warn you I observe all terms of the jihad against lawyers wink.gif.

And lastly,

David, you should know better than to mention the FHL here. Those traitors do, and always have, worked for the guinea pigs. EVERYONE knows that. Only the HLF truly has the rights of hamsters as its guiding policy.

I suggest you go and catch up on your history by reflecting on the teachings of Master Yoda... "May the Hamster within guide you to true enlightenment."

Well, Herr Deutschekinder (or some similar lengthy Teuton term),

Hamsters and lawyers both have a high rate of metabolism for consuming green leafy things, except they eat lettuce (like slugs do) and we consume dollars (which we know helps people whether they appreciate it or not). Oh, and Hamsters smell better, but who cares about that?

Now, don't get me started on Tim, Baby Slug, Grandma Slug, and all the Slug family eating all the lettuce...

Um, I think I need a rest, too.

------------------

I fought the Law and the Law won.

Thankfully one other thing lawyers and hamsters share, at least when in my presence, is a HIGH MORTALITY RATE ! wink.gif

Ps. You forgot that hamsters also have nicer personalities, LOOK better AND contribute more to society as a whole ... although, I will admit that given the amount of excrement stored in a lawyer's body lawyers DO form very good compost wink.gif

Lawyers as compost?

Fionn you need to go back and study some more carbon chemistry.

Hamsters when buried ,(I've buried a few), enrich the soil and promote all kinds of growth.

Lawyers would be a good substitue for salt in your scorched earth policy. They suck the life out of any living thing, and like vampires (or Kindred) they continue to do this long after they are dead. Personaly I think all graveyards with Lawyers in them should be hazardous areas, and a half-life for lawyer contamination should be studied...

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 08-10-2000).]

Well, well, well, we have finally heard from Fionn on the important subject of Hamsters when he stated: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>David, you should know better than to mention the FHL

here. Those traitors do, and always have, worked for the guinea pigs. EVERYONE knows that. Only the HLF truly has the rights of hamsters as its guiding policy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Posh Fionn, not to mention Pish. This is nothing more than another example of your blatant anti-FHL bias which has permeated this board since the subject first came up. And your typical "EVERYONE KNOWS" ploy won't work this time, you're talking to true Hamster afficianados here. Come clean Fionn, how much is the HLF paying you Hmmmm? And this while the HLF is engaged in extracting Eathan's precious bodily fluids and implanting God knows what God knows where. Have you no shame, Sir ... at long last have you no shame?

Joe

BTW Andreas I got a turn from "Eathan" tonight too, I agree, it shows a marked improvement in tactics. We've GOT to get him out of their hands, er paws.

Oh misinformed soul,

While I have no doubt you are a hamster aficianado and can perform the "Richard Gere hamsterritual" with ease ( and in fact DO perform it with the aid of a good tub of lube every Friday night) this does not make you an authority on hamster political doctrine.

Unfortunately it seems that guinea pigs, with their greater body mass and rotundity, have replaced hamsters in your anal love parade.

Richard Gere would be ashamed of you...

Oh now this goes too far. That you would stoop (ahem) to playing the feltching card in a serious discussion only shows that you are unwilling to address the real issues at hand. I note, with my unerring eye for accuracy, that you fail to answer the charge THAT YOU ARE IN THE PAY OF THE HLF AND ARE A WILLING PAWN OF THEIR NEFARIOUS SCHEME. I note also that you are apparenly perfectly happy to leave poor Eathan to his fate ... I don't doubt that he's enjoying it but that's not the point.

And to suggest that I would consort with Guinea Pigs is a calumny and a slander ... or is it libel? Either way, you are a scoundrel sir, and I challenge you to provide proof of your accusations or retract your statement in its entirety. BTW, those photos of me at the New's Years Day party are clearly fakes and won't be accepted ... the videotape either, and that guinea pig that gave the written statement is a damned liar as EVERYONE KNOWS.

The TRUTH IS OUT THERE Fionn, and you will be hoist with your own petard, no doubt you'd enjoy that as well.

Joe

The TRUTH may be out "there" but we ALL know where the guinea pig pulling your strings is located.

I don't know what's sadder... Is it that you have betrayed your principles due to guinea pig seduction OR could it be that you seem utterly unaware of your betrayal?

As for Eathan and his fate.... At least it will be more pleasurable than yours gerbil-lover wink.gif.