Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Fatal selfies! India leads.

The competition for the Darwin Award is fierce this year, with a 15 y.o. Indian teenage boy in real contention after fatally shooting himself in the head while doing a selfie with his father's pistol. So great are the numbers of people getting killed while taking selfies in high risk locations that Indian authorities have now established, so help me, no selfie zones, which are enforced by the police when selfie taking is observed. India has the dubious distinction of a citizenry which has 40% of all the selfie deaths worldwide. There is even a Wiki on selfie-related injuries and deaths! And in 2015, selfie deaths claimed more victims than did sharks. Using the Google search term "selfie deaths," I got 1,290,000 hits! While I'm sure texting while driving is racking up a greater toll, it's clear yet again that common sense isn't.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well it's like you said. Darwinism at its best. One of the saddest police calls I ever went to was a 13 year old who texted her boyfriend (who I might add had just broken up with her hours before because as he put it...she was "crazy") that she was going to kill herself and posted a picture of herself with a bottle of Tylenol PM. An empty bottle later and a phone call from the concerned ex-boyfriend a few hours later led me to finding her passed out in her bedroom. She died from liver failure 6 days later (taking a Tylenol overdose is a BAD way to die). 

• 3 weeks later...

>>Murphy's Laws of Darwinism: Common sense isn't common.

>>“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” Albert Einstein

>>Three statement that will land you in the Emergency Room.

1) "based on my knowledge"

2) "based on my experience"

3) "watch this..."