CMBB Install Problem

I have an original CMBB cd and tried to install the program with the 3 patches and running into problems getting the entire disk to install.  I am using Windows 7 and I used to have the game loaded but forgot how to reinstall.  It just doesn't install the program.  I am using the default directory and tried to first install it on a different drive with the same problem.

What do you guys think for a windows 7 install

I used to have the game working on this Windows 7, 64 bit computer.  I deleted the game a few months ago and decided to reinstall.  I place the CD in the drive and click on the installer line.  It detracts the files and then it stops right near the end of the install.  Another box comes up with a error message.  It doesn't say what the error is.  I installed into the default directory that it shows when asking for the install.

I can't figure this one out.  I must have had this problem last time and fixed it.  I also disabled the anti virus as well.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, my system runs everything and I might try to install cmak and cmbo to see if it has the same problem

Temporarily disabling the security/anti-virus software is a good first step since that can sometimes interfere with the extraction process (trying to scan files during extraction). Make sure anything else that is running has been shutdown (programs, utilities, etc.). If possible, copy the entire disc to a temporary directory/folder on your desktop and then run the installer from that copy that is now on your hard drive. You may also want to run the installer by right-clicking and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu. I can't recall if the installer will try to put the game into the 'Program Files (x86)' directory or not. You could also specify a non-default directory such as 'C:\Games\CMBB' (which you would have to create beforehand).

Since the game was running earlier on this system I assume that the DirectX 9.0c installer has already been run (which may or may not be necessary/helpful), though the error you're possibly getting is NOT related to DirectX.

I had this show up

Extracting Scenarios\Kruglowka Railway.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\Kruglowka Railway.cmf
Extracting Scenarios\Magnuszew Bridgehead.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\Magnuszew Bridgehead.cmf
Extracting Scenarios\Mobile Defense.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\Mobile Defense.cmf
Extracting Scenarios\Penny Packets.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\Penny Packets.cmf
Extracting Scenarios\Siberian Devils.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\Siberian Devils.cmf
Extracting Scenarios\To the Volga.cmf
CRC failed in Scenarios\To the Volga.cmf

I mounted the cd with magic iso

Your 'CD' is actually an ISO file ? Did you create this ISO file yourself ? Do you have the original disc still (with an optical drive to read it) ? If you do have the original disc, then try that (again, possibly copying the files to the hard drive and attempting the install from there).

My guess is that you may have a copy of CMBB that will run, but it will be short a number of scenarios. Have you attempted to run CMBB yet ?

Also, if your copy is the Battlefront eLicense protected version, then you will need to add exceptions within your DEP settings. You may also need to add an exception/whitelist with your security/anti-virus software for both the main game executable and the 'runservice.exe' file in the 'Windows' directory.

I have the original disk and I will try again as in.  I had this darn game on the computer and I wish I kept it on the hard drive.  First thing is to get this installed correctly without the errors coming up.  I will try again this afternoon and place it in a different folder.

I do have the Cmbb disk as an iso so I don't have to worry about the disk check.  However, is that still relevant anymore.

I'll also try cmak to see if that gives the same problem.  I just like the simplicity of Cmbb and the gameplay.

Thanks for your suggestions.  When figured out, ill post so others can figure out faster

If there is a single file on the CD, then simply copy that to a folder on your desktop or wherever. I'd suggest installing the game to a DIFFERENT directory than the one you copy the installer to (just to make sure that there isn't some sort of strange file system issue). Hopefully it can copy without error. You may want to double-check that your CD surface is free of smudges (and hopefully scratches).

If your copy of CMBB uses the disc-checking for copy-protection, then you don't have to worry about the DEP settings since that is strictly for the eLicense protected version.

hi schrull and others,

I was able to extract the files onto the desktop into a folder.  However, when trying to start version 1.0 , doesn't work.  Tried to install patch 1.01 and it loaded until this error message

Extracting Battlefront webpage.url

that was as far as it would get.

I installed CMAK and it installed and the patch wouldn't install entirely with an error message coming up

an error occurred while trying to replace the existing file

delete file failed; code5

access is denied

it looks to be some problem with windows 7 and this game, not sure still?

i got cmbb to start up in right resolution but no scenarios are evident

I got both games to work and I just moved the scenarios over into the folder.  It looks like the problem might have been the alt + tab situation.  I have the two disks loaded up as iso's and I did install the game into the program files folder which is the default.  I am not sure if this was the trick with the alt tab but something happened all of a sudden for the game to work.  I am going to try this on my other machine with windows 10 to see if I have the same problem.  I'll give a report this weekend

Edited by huhr