Do modules share troops?

If a module for a family extends the timeline, and adds troop types, you will probably find the troop types that are added become available in the [Edit]earlier scenarios  time period covered by the earlier releases in the family[EndEdit] if they were historically present in the theatre of operations at that time. You can have british paras in June '44, and AFAICT they weren't available at all until MG was released. Though the CW module blurb doesn't go into available formations... :-/

Edited by womble

Mostly what @womble said, except that newly added formations do not appear in existing scenarios. I am pretty sure that was a typo or brain fart. Each of the formations have their own unique availability dates and those formations added in later modules will be available to scenario authors and quick battles as appropriate.

You can have British paras in June '44, and AFAICT they weren't available at all until MG was released. Though the CW module blurb doesn't go into available formations... :-/

No, British and Canadian paras appeared in the CW module (and US paras were in the base game). But both US and British para formations were updated in the MG module to reflect the changes in organisation and equipment they all underwent between Op OVERLORD and Op MARKET.

No, British and Canadian paras appeared in the CW module (and US paras were in the base game). But both US and British para formations were updated in the MG module to reflect the changes in organisation and equipment they all underwent between Op OVERLORD and Op MARKET.

So, if you only had MG, would CW paras-as-appropriate be available in June?

You mean basegame + MG (without CW)?

In that case, no, you'd only get CW 'stuff' from Sept onwards, I think, and the 'stuff' would be a fairly limited selection of Op MARKET GARDEN specific units (so, for example, no Churchills, and only Sherman Vs).

It's kind of a weird question though - I can't imagine why you'd get MG but not CW.

You mean basegame + MG (without CW)?

In that case, no, you'd only get CW 'stuff' from Sept onwards, I think, and the 'stuff' would be a fairly limited selection of Op MARKET GARDEN specific units (so, for example, no Churchills, and only Sherman Vs).

It's kind of a weird question though - I can't imagine why you'd get MG but not CW.

Thanks Jon. That's the opposite of what I'd assumed. I knew the selection of units would be limited (per your tankwise example) but had thought that the TO of any E present would be extended back too. I guess it makes sense for the MG module to only add September TOs as well as September equipment.

I agree, from our points of view it seems odd to get MG sans CW, but it's not the first time it's come up, and it's the only way I can think that Ser Zaitsev might think that the "whole caboodle" might not include D-day CW airborne.

Ah, I see what you’re getting at. Well, it’s always been that way in CMx2; units are only available in the months they were historically engaged in combat. That is why, for example, the US paras in the CMFI basegame are available in July/August 1943 (Op HUSKY/Sicily), and September (Op AVALANCHE/Salerno), then disappear for a while before becoming available again in early 1944 (Op SHINGLE/Anzio).

Getting back to the Basegame+MG example, you can, I believe, finesse it by first setting the month to September 1944, purchasing whatever UK paras you want, then changing the date back to June 1944. That’ll give you UK paras in the Op NEPTUNE timeframe without purchasing the CW module, noting that the TOE would be ‘wrong’ for that timeframe.

Edit; the same trick works even if you do have all the modules, but want to include any out-of-timeframe units or vehicles.
Note; the above is in specific to scenarios and scenario design. I don’t know that it would work for QBs.

Ah, I see what you’re getting at. Well, it’s always been that way in CMx2; units are only available in the months they were historically engaged in combat. That is why, for example, the US paras in the CMFI basegame are available in July/August 1943 (Op HUSKY/Sicily), and September (Op AVALANCHE/Salerno), then disappear for a while before becoming available again in early 1944 (Op SHINGLE/Anzio).

That's not quite what I meant. But the question is answered now.

I see, it make sense. I think German Paratroopers are available only in MG, so if you want to make a Carentan scenario, you could use that trick described by JonS right?

I wasn't aware there where British paras in CW.

EDIT: What about terrain? Can you use all terrain at all times or do you have to set it to the Netherlands to use windmills and the new bridges?

Edited by Ivan Zaitzev

Oooh, I'd have to check that, but I *think* the bridges and windmills are available everywhere. Even if they aren't, though, you could set the region to Netherlands, add the bridges and windmills you want, then set the region to France if that;s what you wanted.

I think that building facades are linked to the current region though, so you wouldn't be able to have Dutch houses in France.

I recall awhile ago Steve mentioning to us all that last CMBN upgrade put in place the infrastructure that will eventually allow players to be able to play H2H against units they don't own. You've got the basegame, your opponent has a module so you find yourself facing King Tigers. I have absolutely no idea how far along they are in that project. Haven't heard a peep about it. Maybe it'll be a game engine 4 feature? :huh: