Suggestion: Tint clouds and landscape red at sunrise/sunset

Cpl Steiner

Hi all,

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before but none of the CMx2 games appear to have red-tinting effects at sunrise/sunset. You get a lense-flare effect but the clouds and landscape don't get a redish hew like I have seen in some other games, and of course in real life.

If it is not too much work I would love to see some beautiful sunrises and sunsets in a CMx2 game. It would make a typical dawn raid scenario all the more special.

Here's a sunrise image picked more or less at random to show what effect I mean. I can't scale the image though (don't know how) so it might be a bit big. Apologies for that.

[EDIT]

Replaced image with a very rough mockup of sunrise effect in CM:BS. Click thumbnail pic below to enlarge.

post-47051-0-35462300-1441577793_thumb.j

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I will look into how to mod the sky but would this mean that there would be not transition to a normal sky as the sun drops below the horizon or climbs higher into the sky? The point of my post was more to do with the fact that the game engine itself does not model sunrise/sunset correctly, despite modelling other details that we probably don't even notice such an accurate star field and correct moon phase for the location and date. It seems like quite a big omission to me, especially as it could actually increase interest in the game because the effect of sunrise/sunset is aesthetically appealing (to most people anyway). I would also expect the whole map to take on a redish hew, not just the sky. You should see the sides of white-coloured buildings looking slightly pinkish for instance.

How does the game handle the day night sky colour transition at the moment?

I tried this in the editor and discovered that there is a subtle red-tinting effect when the sun is below the horizon. See composite sunrise image below (click to enlarge) with night on the left and sun risen on the right. I was not aware of any red-tinting effect until now but I guess not many scenarios are set in the early hours of the morning. By the way, the shadows look wrong in the left-hand image slices but I checked in the editor again and the shadows are being caste by the Moon until the Sun rises.

post-47051-0-26590800-1441661694_thumb.j

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I recall back working on a scenario for CMSF I was perplexed by my dusk scenario getting darker and darker then suddenly getting light again. It was driving me crazy. It turned out that I had inadvertently picked a date where sunset and a full moon rise were mere minutes apart. I Googled lunar cycles and dang - they had hit it on the nose! :lol: