Arnhem & Col Frost

For all you Beta Testers (Matt, Foin, Moon etc):

Bear with me here... Because I am not competely sure of unit size or unit composition...

Col. Frost's battalion at the north end of Arnhem's highway bridge seems the perfect "operational" inclusion in CM 1.0.

Could this battalion sized unit be included in a single scenario or could it be set-up as an "operational" campaign??

From that, what info is there available on the German units attacking Col. Frost's battalion, and from WHERE??? Who, what, and where did the Germans arrive?? I know... alot of armor but??

A couple of kilometers square (city fighting included) makes this intrigueing...

Stoner

Guest Paul Roberts

Hearing that Col. Frost at Arnheim is "doable" at CM's scale is excellent news!

And it leads to my question, which is: Do we yet know any of the scenarios/ops that will be included in Combat Mission out of the box? I know that the editors will mean lots and lots of scens down the road, but what will we be playing on that first, glorious weekend?

And speaking of Arnheim, how do you think the game engine will be for dense city maps? I don't have the demo, so I don't even know how troops (yours or theirs) in buildings are displayed. I hope that we won't have to represent towns and cities with just half a dozen scattered buildings.

Who's got the scoop?

Paul Roberts

Well, I'll take a crack at this. We have right now completed testing (initial) on the scenariks. There's many many of them. Don't know which ones will make the game, but every one I have played/tested has been very exciting!

Los

About Arnhem

While not the author of the operation, I have tested one and suggested changes. Will let him say who he is IF he wants. Don't know if it will be in with the scenarios that come with the release, as I requested some changes that will truly make you curse my name. smile.gif

Tim 'Rune' Orosz

Speaking of Arnhem, I was just wondering if the river crossing at Nijmegan by the 82nd would be included. It would probably sastify those who still want a D-Day beach assault since the side the germans held did have fortifications.

Yes, I have an Arnhem map done, and as soon as I can get the AI to do what it should, I'll be getting whipped into shape. I'm not saying it will be included. I hope so. But I am 3/4 of the way to having it done.

You were talking about that one, weren't you Rune?

If it passes Rune's playtesting, its ready for anything (G)!

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

Yes, Paul, we know, but you don't (G). Now that is coldblooded. Like any good poker player, you don't want to tip your hand, but think of nearly every month of the period from June 44 through May 45. Think of most of the battles better known to historians and gamers of Western Europe.

Think of last stands, hard charges, tenacious defenses, running tank battles, alamo situations, rescues,.. Think of paratroopers, tank commanders, tank aces..You'll see them all. Now if I say more than that, I'll be on the outside looking in.

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net

Following-up,

Wild Bill or Rune... Does your Arnhem "operation" include that one Kampfgruppes(?) attempt to cross the highway bridge early on in the battle??

Frost's paratroopers in place, and a mechanized column comes from the bridge's south side... Always have wanted to play that 'episode' with an accurate map and units!!

Thanks Guys Stoner

Stoner,

Give away secrets? Never! Just name, rank, serial number, and Date of birth. As I said, you will live to curse my name, although your troops may not live to do it. smile.gif

Tim Orosz, Raider

Combat Mission Raider Team

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net: http://www.thegamers.net

For those that are interested in the entire market garden operation and battles there is an excellent book I just finished reading a couple of weeks ago (getting ready to make scenarios myself don't you know) entitled, "It never snows in September". It is all about the market garden operation from the German's perspective and does get into quite a bit of detail on the German units involved, there make-up, where and how they were employed, etc. Very much worth reading. Can't remember the name of the author off hand other than he is British and it appeared that he did his research before writing the book. Including interviewing surviving German soldiers that were actually there, others, etc.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Okay Rune...

Could Arnhem "operations" include having the British Airborne Battalion along the river road arrive at the highway bridge's northern end, only to find German Mechanized units in place???

Of course, the variables for this 'set-up' may not fall within CM's realm??

"Plans within plans..."

Stoner

Guest Big Time Software

Another good German source is the divisional histories of the 9th and 10th SS Pz Divisions. The title is "In the Firestorm of the Last Year of the War". I haven't had time to read much of it, but the writing (and translation to English) is fantastic. The research appears to be VERY good. The number of vets he interviewed and drew from that were actually there is VERY impressive.

He takes some issue with Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far" from the little I read. Basically claiming that there is a wee too much bias in it toward the heroism of the Brits, and a bit too much knocking of the Germans. There was one part I read that challenged Ryan's assertion that the Germans were tipped off before the battle, which would mitigate some of the early problems the Brits ran into. The evidence brought out in this book to dispute this is very convincing.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 12-17-99).]

David, in order to have a good historical battle of Arnhem, I may have to lock the units in place.

But of course, there is an editor, and it offers you the opportunity to the operation and change that.

That is, of course, if the scenarios and operations that come with the game are accessible. I can't comment to that point.

Now I am not saying there will be an Arnhem

operation in the game, only that it is very possible...(G)

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

The Gamers Net

Stoner,

To answer your question, I think the road by the railroad bridge and the North part of the Arnhem bridge where Frost was, would have to be two seperate operations. Could they be made into one? Yes, but would it be easy to control? Think about the amount of units each side would have to have. It would get really hairy. The way the scenario is now, it is just Col. Frost and some Panzers who decided to crash the party. smile.gif My favorite quote is not "Nuts", but the British Officer who replied when asked if they would like to discuss surrender terms "We would like to, but I am afraid we just don't have the room for all of you." smile.gif

Tim Orosz, Raider

Wild Bill's Raiders

Tim, actually there would be another problem putting both bridges on the same map. They're several kilometers apart, I would have to look up exactly how much, but it would most probably not fit on one map. Shows you once again the scale of Combat Mission as compared to the scale of most military history books.

Moon and Stoner,

I might be wrong, but I believe the distance is under the 5km limit. Again, I agree that it should not be done, as everything, map size, number of units, etc, would make this game impossible to manage. two seperate operations, and as Moon correctly says, the scale of the operations and scale of books are NOT the same.

Tim Orosz, Raider

Wild Bill's Raiders

Hey Everyone,

Appreciate the replies.

I guess the highway bridge arena is the only Arnhem "operation" I would really like to see initially. Talk about a city fight of with the all the classic infantry versus armor elements!!!

Wild Bill, if memory serves, there are some very good aerial photographs of Arnhem in Cornelius Ryan's book. I am a map "buff" and the historical values of this game's editor have me JACKED!!

I cannot wait... Looking forward to everyones scenarios over the net too!!!

Happy Holidays, Stone