Easier vehicle movement

Playing the German campaign Blunting The Spear with so many vehicles in mission 3 makes me almost cry about plotting vehicle paths.

Please, could we have the opportunity when plotting moves for vehicles, that an already existing path for a vehicle could be used for another vehicle?

Illustration of what I mean:

post-73773-0-93038100-1438591765_thumb.j

post-73773-0-11207400-1438591775_thumb.j

post-73773-0-07577400-1438591783_thumb.j

Hi Vinnart,

thanks for the heads up. Interesting discussion but sadly without any feedback from the developers?

In that discussion a true follow command has been discussed. I think it would already be of great help for players, if only the points from the movement path would simply be copied.

Everything else was still up to the player:

1. To use adequate pause or distances or to change the speed of certain path elements to avoid traffic jam (I like that it's up to the player to be forced to decide on his own to trade security (big gaps) vs speed).

2. To make sure that the path was valid for the unit it is applied to (up tot he player not to copy mindlessly paths between units - different abilities for certain terrain types come to mind).

The coding effort would be minimal by copying path coordinates. Tactical considerations would not be taken away from the player.

2. To make sure that the path was valid for the unit it is applied to (up tot he player not to copy mindlessly paths between units - different abilities for certain terrain types come to mind).

The coding effort would be minimal by copying path coordinates. Tactical considerations would not be taken away from the player.

Good point Carl. In that case either the player will have to remain aware to not have a vehicle follow into deep forest, or even better to have the "follow" command automatically cancel at that point when it can no longer follow.

As for BF commenting often they do not, but i understand the reasoning. All that matters is that they see and consider the feedback from a different view point. The developers have expressed a desire to incorporate "follow", but when that will happen it remains to be seen. They have a long "to do list",  but they are a small gaming company so it goes at a certain pace.

Follow has been suggested since 1999. I've personally wanted it in since 1998. Yet it still isn't in. There's obviously a reason for that, and not reading one of the dozens of threads discussing it over the last 16 years is certainly not one of them :D

Just so you know, Follow has been on my short list of features with every improvement we've made to CMx2 since before Shock Force was released. This means it has a better chance of inclusion than other features, which is important since there are literally hundreds of other good ideas vying for attention.

Steve

Follow has been suggested since 1999. I've personally wanted it in since 1998. Yet it still isn't in. There's obviously a reason for that, and not reading one of the dozens of threads discussing it over the last 16 years is certainly not one of them :D

Just so you know, Follow has been on my short list of features with every improvement we've made to CMx2 since before Shock Force was released. This means it has a better chance of inclusion than other features, which is important since there are literally hundreds of other good ideas vying for attention.

Steve

See, the guy owns the company and even stuff on his own wish list is not in. I think it is good for people to see that when it comes to features not being in to understand often it is because of reasons other than not wanting to include a feature.

I look forward to the day it is in though as it will be such a time saver,

See, the guy owns the company and even stuff on his own wish list is not in. I think it is good for people to see that when it comes to features not being in to understand often it is because of reasons other than not wanting to include a feature.

I look forward to the day it is in though as it will be such a time saver,

Yeah, but ... by the time it makes it in, we will probably be on another iteration of Combat Mission and will have left behind the zigzaggy roads :rolleyes: and it wont be nearly as essential.

Still useful though ;)

I'll take either of those improvements, thanks :lol: