Playing the 3rd mission in the demo, can't get the stinger team to fire?

I assumed because the humvee that the stinger team was in was a flatbed, that it meant they could fire from the flatbed as long as the vehicle was stopped.  But I had my stinger team right next to some bradleys and they all got obliterated by russian helicopter support ATGMs, and the stinger team never fired.  At least I don't think it ever fired, it's hard to tell in this game because there are no alerts or event text logs (you can lose half your units without ever noticing because there are no sound alerts or flashing icons when they're off screen).  But I checked their ammo before and after, and it never changed from 7 stinger missiles remaining.

Do they have to dismount to fire?

Yes and while you are at it acquire all the missiles first. Last thing you want to see is that truck get blown up with the rest of your AA missiles.. :D

Thanks for the reply! So why are they in a flatbed humvee if they have to dismount to fire a stinger?

Edited by moeburn

Careful about acquiring all the missiles, that will slow you AA team down big time. I usually tuck the Hummer away under cover and take two or three missiles at a time.

You will know when they fire because there is a distinct sound and a long smoke trail.

Not firing from the Hummer has more to do with wanting a stable platform than flat bed truck or not.

I'm just wondering why they, and nobody else, got a flatbed version of the humvee in that mission, if it makes no difference whatsoever.  I'm no military expert, but it seems plausible to me that, as long as the humvee isn't moving, they should be able to fire a stinger from the flatbed area.  

12 out of 14 of my Stingers missed :(  MANPADs gonna MANPAD I guess :P

Got the Russian drone, and a Hind though.  Sadly, near the end I lost a full Bradley to a Hind's missile in the rear troop compartment.  12 dead instantly.  My own fault for failing to deploy at a reasonable pace.

I'm just wondering why they, and nobody else, got a flatbed version of the humvee in that mission, if it makes no difference whatsoever.  I'm no military expert, but it seems plausible to me that, as long as the humvee isn't moving, they should be able to fire a stinger from the flatbed area.  

Know whats funny?  Russian MANPADS train to fire from the opened up rear-hatch of BMP's as well.  There are many vids and images of them doing just that around, its pretty impressive albeit not exactly always tactically sound.  
Edited by Nerdwing

Careful about acquiring all the missiles, that will slow you AA team down big time. I usually tuck the Hummer away under cover and take two or three missiles at a time.

You will know when they fire because there is a distinct sound and a long smoke trail.

Not firing from the Hummer has more to do with wanting a stable platform than flat bed truck or not.

Nah I always grab them all. The truck gets em to a nice clear location, they grab the missiles, get out and don't move. :D. I started that the first time I needed to grab more during an air attack. Cursed the entire time it took to get back to the vehicle, grab more and reposition.

As to why they don't shoot from inside the truck, their commander is a neat freak and won't abide the scorch marks on his new paint....

Maybe the mission designer also wasn't aware that they couldn't fire from a flatbed?  It just seems random to give them the flatbed and not give it to any of the other humvee-mounted units in this mission.

Edited by moeburn