Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Some questions from a noob

This is my first combat mission game, so far I love it! I feel like this is the only game ill play from now on. I’ve done august morning as well as the first two US campaign missions and I’m stuck on the third one.

My questions are:

Are there antiradar missiles, i.e. can aircraft (or the ka-52 which i believe can carry the kh-25) conduct SEAD? Are all available weapons listed in the manual or is that a sample?

If I call in an airstrike do i need sight on all targets or will the aircraft spot its own targets? I thought it provided its own optics but in the third mission my apaches cant hit anything unless I see it.

Can i turn off weapons, for instance on a sniper team to make it so they don’t get spotted but can still spot?

Can aircraft provide air defense?

Is there information somewhere about hit percentage for atgms and how certain protective systems effect it?

If I acquire a javelin and my antitank guy dies can someone else fire it?

How does cover effect hit chance, and which is better cover buildings or heavy forest?

I’ve found that when a tank gets a laser warning it pops smoke and reverses, is there a way to ignore threats? Like if im carefully planning an armored push with three tanks, I don’t want one ducking out all of a sudden, especially when i have a numerical advantage.

Is there a counter battery system for artlillery i missed somewhere?

And last but not least, why no BMPT? I know it was never selected for service, but what about the BMPT-2? It fits the time frame (ok maybe its off a few years but who doesnt want the terminator?)

Are there antiradar missiles, i.e. can aircraft (or the ka-52 which i believe can carry the kh-25) conduct SEAD? Are all available weapons listed in the manual or is that a sample?

There's ATGMs or bombs broadly speaking.  There's no HARM type weapons.  

If I call in an airstrike do i need sight on all targets or will the aircraft spot its own targets? I thought it provided its own optics but in the third mission my apaches cant hit anything unless I see it.

They can, they're just a lot less good at it.  You'll need targets in the open and such or the chopper won't notice it especially well.

Can i turn off weapons, for instance on a sniper team to make it so they don’t get spotted but can still spot?

Can aircraft provide air defense?

Is there information somewhere about hit percentage for atgms and how certain protective systems effect it?

No to all.  In regards to the first/last one, basically the on-board AI decides if it's worth a shot or not.  The "cease" firing is something you can apparently trick the AI into.  

If I acquire a javelin and my antitank guy dies can someone else fire it?

Yes with caveat.  If the unit is too weighed down, it won't pick up the weapon.  Other squads may recover the weapon, but it's really up to how the unit AI is feeling for both.

How does cover effect hit chance, and which is better cover buildings or heavy forest?

The hit chance thing...I won't touch that, but buildings are generally better.  Be mindful of their construction, some won't take much to go to pieces, and many are at best "bullet resistant"

I’ve found that when a tank gets a laser warning it pops smoke and reverses, is there a way to ignore threats? Like if im carefully planning an armored push with three tanks, I don’t want one ducking out all of a sudden, especially when i have a numerical advantage.

When moving give them a "fast move."  I believe you can also get the tanks to stand fast with a "pause" command.

Is there a counter battery system for artlillery i missed somewhere?

Nope.  That's something way above and beyond the echelon you control in the game. 

And last but not least, why no BMPT? I know it was never selected for service, but what about the BMPT-2? It fits the time frame (ok maybe its off a few years but who doesnt want the terminator?)

Because none of the parties in CMBS have expressed interest in it.  

It's pretty obvious you're coming straight off of Wargames: Red Dragon.  CMBS is a totally different kettle of fish as I'm sure you're finding out. 

Actually yes you can prevent teams from firing if you want to use them as spotting units. Just create a short cover arc for your sniper team so that it falls short of where you would expect any enemy units. They will still spot units beyond the cover arc but will not fire. I don't believe you will get any spotting disadvantage outside the arc as long as the unit is facing the right way.

Actually yes you can prevent teams from firing if you want to use them as spotting units. Just create a short cover arc for your sniper team so that it falls short of where you would expect any enemy units. They will still spot units beyond the cover arc but will not fire. I don't believe you will get any spotting disadvantage outside the arc as long as the unit is facing the right way.

Thanks, thats great! I cant belive i didnt think of that.

About cover, a bit of warning. This isn't WWII, there's a lot of infra-red optics in the game. They're likely to 'see' a bit deeper into a patch of woods than you might expect. If you want to not be seen its best to really really make a point of not being seen. :)

About cover, a bit of warning. This isn't WWII, there's a lot of infra-red optics in the game. They're likely to 'see' a bit deeper into a patch of woods than you might expect. If you want to not be seen its best to really really make a point of not being seen. :)

so seeing and not being seen is difficult? I should hide infantry behind trees?

Spotting in combat mission is the black magic of the games.  I have not quite figured out how or why it works the way it does and so just go with it.  If you want to see and not be seen I have found it best not to use the hide routine.  Use the idea given earlier, setting up a limited covered arc.  

Whether to be deeper in cover or not is hard to determine until you get to your spot (no pun intended).  If you are there but can't see where you want (use the targetting button) then sneak forward a bit more.

There will be times you can see pretty well from relatively deep in the woods, other times it appears that you've got a great spot but can't see where it seems you should.  

I believe I read somewhere that the visual terrain is a representative of what's there - not exact.  That seems to be true - there are times where I'm totally ticked off at a squad thinking they really need to go get eye glasses because from my 'God's eye' point of view, they should have a clear line of sight.