Russian APS defeats UKR T-HEAT shell.

I'm trying to finish the UKR campaign,  got to the last mission a while ago but put it off, takes me some time sometimes to amp myself up for a really big battle.  Anyway the assaults going pretty smoothly, I avoided a lot of potential infantry casualties by mounting my guys back up whenever I saw a spotting round.  Things just started getting exciting when the AI surprised me with something, and a lot of tank rounds are flying around the last couple turns.  Which bring us to the topic, I just saw what I thought was APS shooting down a sabot.  I thought this because the round was moving so fast.  Turns out it was a T-HEAT shell.... but I was surprised it was shot down since it was flying about as fast as the sabots or so it seemed.  Maybe a bug/oversight?  I have a save but I'm sure its a fairly regular occurrence given the right set up.  Maybe the APS can just do that in which case I'm impressed.

Edit to add, My tanks are the BM Oplat, theirs are I think the T72b3.  and the jerks got 3 of mine already even tho I saw em coming and tried to get ready.  Every one of theirs has gotten one of mine despite my odds advantage and me shooting a lot more.

Edited by cool breeze

I'm trying to finish the UKR campaign,  got to the last mission a while ago but put it off, takes me some time sometimes to amp myself up for a really big battle.  Anyway the assaults going pretty smoothly, I avoided a lot of potential infantry casualties by mounting my guys back up whenever I saw a spotting round.  Things just started getting exciting when the AI surprised me with something, and a lot of tank rounds are flying around the last couple turns.  Which bring us to the topic, I just saw what I thought was APS shooting down a sabot.  I thought this because the round was moving so fast.  Turns out it was a T-HEAT shell.... but I was surprised it was shot down since it was flying about as fast as the sabots or so it seemed.  Maybe a bug/oversight?  I have a save but I'm sure its a fairly regular occurrence given the right set up.  Maybe the APS can just do that in which case I'm impressed.

Edit to add, My tanks are the BM Oplat, theirs are I think the T72b3.  and the jerks got 3 of mine already even tho I saw em coming and tried to get ready.  Every one of theirs has gotten one of mine despite my odds advantage and me shooting a lot more.

It probably wasn't a heat shell, most likely an barrel fired ATGM which the OPLOT has.

I watched the replay to see what ammo ticked down, it was definitely T-HEAT, went from 3 to 2.  ATGM was right below it and stayed at I think 8.  And it didn't fly like an atgm or look like one.

And incase anyone was wondering, 2 more turns in and I realize I'm getting thrashed.  I HAD the numbers and the and intel advantage on but they had the terrain advantage and despite them coming in one at a time its now 2 to 4 in their favor and looking to continue the trend for a minute.  I should have tried to get everyone not just IFVs into the trees and hulldown.  Was a little surprised tho, its nice being caught on the back foot by the AI

Edited by cool breeze

akd,

That is some performance jump! The Arena typically reported, as in this Arena Wiki, has a max target velocity capability of 700 m/sec. Since KBM, which manufactures Arena, also reports the same max velocity limit for inbound threats (see below), I'd like to see your source, please. From KBM's own Specifications entry on Arena. In light of this, if the T-HEAT shell cool breeze reported was indeed going 900 m/sec, then I think something's wrong somewhere.

http://www.kbm.ru/en/production/saz/368.html

Target velocity, m/s

70…700

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I was a little confused by your second  post too, AKD, no offense but seemed kind of curt and out of the blue, but I appreciate you answering my question in this thread I started. 

Posting again in here because I noticed something.  The recent jump in capabilities indicates that at the current rate of improvement the APS will soon be able to intercept sabots.

My rough math and reasoning is the max velocity threshold went from 700m/s to 1000m/s, which is a 42 percent increase.  So another 42 percent increase would bring it to 1420m/s, just bout 130m/s shy of what is needed to barely intercept the 120mm sabots.  Of course I have no reason to assume its going to keep going up like that just thought it was an interesting trend. Seems it might change things considerably if APS stated shooting down top attack and messing up big sabots. 

http://defense-update.com/20130925_a-new-arena-aps-debut-at-rae-2013.html#.VVJIfpNJCMI

Note "Arena-3" is a translation error.  This is improved, still in development version of Arena-E.

Next Gen Afghanit APS is said to be capable of intercepting projectiles up to 1700m/s (note: interception doesn't necessarily mean defeat).

Zaslon has an upper limit of 1200m/s.

Trophy's exact upper limit is unknown, but is said to be capable of intercepting gun-fired HEAT, so probably circa 1000m/s also.

:) Thank you very much!   I feel vindicated, boy do I love being right. Figured it was largely an issue of fancy electronics/ computations, and those tend to go up in power real quick like that.  I wasn't thinking it would be able to defeat the sabot outright but I imagine banging on it hard enough will at least reduce its stability and penetration.