A few improvements/features

For me, I want to see in some next patches, one feature that will add easier handling of units. For example, if I order some unit to hide (to not fire), it will be nice to change icon of these units, thas says: "Im hidding",

for faster searching...

You mean the icon floating over the unit?

Yes that would be nice, I could imagine some kind of a symbol on a corner of the floating icon that represents the current order it is performing (moving fast, hiding, cover arc, etc.)

The only problem would be that this little information needs quite many variations, one per order type, and it could be a bit too little to be seen.

Here is an example:

(custom icons by Ian)

the infantry icon shows a green triangle to indicate that the unit is embarked;

the vehicle icon shows a blue square with an M to indicate the "Move" command is happening (if it was a "fast" command, then a F would be there with a Yellow square, hunt would be a H with a purple square etc.)

ot3j7q.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. If I must find what units are hidding, and there is lots of units, its difficult to fast find in which state particular unit is...

Edited by oggy

And one more thing, if I order some unit to hide, for some reasons, ordered unit start to shoot on enemy even in long range... I want to my unit obbey ordered state until direct treats.

This is strange and should not happen at all. Hidden units should only fire back if they get hit first, and sometimes require even some time to do that. Do you have a savegame/video/screenshot to show the specific situation?

An alternative would be to use a very small cover arc, but you would miss the "bonus" of hiding.

I do not use arcs, for me its pointless, lets say, in real life... :)  I do not have any screenshots, but will try to screen that. It happens always, they just do not follow my orders... I agreed that in ponential threats situations, units MUST defends, but not if they see some enemy units few hundreds meters away, and they always starts to shoot...

Will check it today, if I succeed to take my comp again from kid whos playing that damned Minecraft...

But, even so, no matter how experienced or not the units are, if I said to him: "eat the dirt"....  :angry:

Edited by oggy

I recently had a PBEM where I used the hiding command for infantry plenty, and they never broke that command even if some enemy infantry was in less than 200m radius and in LOS. Those units were all veteran and crack. To enforce the "don't open fire" discipline I also set up a few cover arcs, very close to the units. ChrisND used this also in his training videos, where it came down to make sure an artillery spotter wouldn't reveal its position by firing a few shots with AKs.

It is possible that yours were of a lower experience level like Hister suggested; experience/training levels are represented by the game in that particular way, and the level of a unit influences how that unit will perform under independent situations (tactical AI) and under your direct commands, not to mention the quality of the outcome of carrying orders. As a rule of thumb, you can't 100% rely on green and conscript units.

Regarding cover arcs, well, it's your choice but consider that you loose a very powerful instrument when it comes down to the game play. As regarding any reference with a realistic situation cover arcs represent strict orders that any soldier would be trained to follow, such as: "don't open fire until the enemy you see is closer". But again, it's your call.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Oggy, Target arcs are an important tool to learn to use. Dismiss them as "pointless" at your pTruppens peril. If you're using Hide a lot, you're probably working from a faulty premise: most of the time you want your infantry not under Hide orders so they can better see what's coming for them and their big armoured friends. Of course Hide has its uses, but so do Target Arcs. I probably use TAs 10 times as often as Hide (admittedly in the WW2 titles); they are part of my SOP. Using Hide is a carefully considered exception.

Cant you combine hiding and a covered arc?

You can, and often if you want to Hide, a Target Arc as well is a good "belt-and-braces" approach to guarantee (pretty much) that they won't pop up and fire. Lets you order a particular orientation as well (like Face) if you use a segment rather than circular TA.

No, doesn't work in such a combo.

Sorry? What do you mean "...doesn't work..."? If you put Hide orders and a Target Arc on a unit, it does exactly what you tell it. It prioritises being unseen over all other actions, and even if that priority is thrown out the window, it won't fire outside the TA unless it's seriously threatened. It also means the pTruppen have their faces in the dirt and are Spotting far less often (if ever, depending) so they won't see things. Both commands are correctly applied, IME.

It doesn't work as a magic "surprise the enemy with devastating fire at 5m" ambush command, no.

If you put Hide orders and a Target Arc on a unit, it does exactly what you tell it. It prioritises being unseen over all other actions, and even if that priority is thrown out the window, it won't fire outside the TA unless it's seriously threatened. It also means the pTruppen have their faces in the dirt and are Spotting far less often (if ever, depending) so they won't see things. Both commands are correctly applied, IME.

That is what i thought it does. I usually only use the combination of Hide + Target Arc for ATGMs, if i want to make absolutely sure they dont fire and waste ammo or more importantly give away their position prematurely. Basically what i want my ATGMs to do is to hold fire AND keep their heads as low as humanly possible. AFAIK just issueing a target arc will make them hold fire but they will still kneel and look for targets and by doing so they themselves become more likely to be spotted, and that is what i want to avoid.

Edited by agusto

Sorry? What do you mean "...doesn't work..."?

Sorry, you posted slightly before me so I didn't see your answer at the time when I typed mine. was thus not referred to you. I thought Augusto meant to use the combo of this comand as you suggest here:

It doesn't work as a magic "surprise the enemy with devastating fire at 5m" ambush command, no.