Planes/Tanks and Hedgerows

DesertFox I think the reference that Fionn is using is "Panzers in Normandy then and now" by Eric Lefevre. Of course I might be mistaken but I believe that this is one book that presents Fionn's argument.

As for my opinion I have to agree with Mike D. on this one. The After the Battle books while stating that they are completely (revisionist)unbiased, have a definite pro-German flavor. I own "Battle of the Bulge then and now" and have found glaring errors in descriptions of knocked out German tanks.

dano6

Fionn if I am incorrect on the reference I am sorry. I just think that this is one of the books that present this case.

The site that you are thinking about is the www.achtungpanzer.com. But I believe that the information is taken from the book mentioned above. As far as the pictures on that site, the tank #007 has been moved. I am inclined to take the testimony of many of the eye-witnesses over that of a lone French historian who discovered the tank a year later. I feel that the pictures and the tale of the lone Frech man offer no proof what-so-ever. Remember that destoyed German tanks were used as target practice for allied planes throughout the war.

dano6

[This message has been edited by dano6 (edited 10-22-99).]

Nope friends,

Panzer in Normandy by Eric Lefevre isn´t the origin of this rocket-story. I have it in my hands here. It states about the turett picture:

Quote: " The remains of Wittmann´s "007" near Gaumesnil, blasted apart by the combined efforts of five Shermans. Detailed local research early in 1981 enabled Jean Paul Pallud to produce the sketch plan (opposite) and to pinpoint the exact spot (below left), confirmed by fragments of steel and glass, where Wittmann and his crew met their deaths." End of Quote

You see Eric Lefevre isn´t responsible for the rocket-story. Who else? Who knows where this rocket-story has its origin?

DesertFox

[This message has been edited by DesertFox (edited 10-22-99).]

Sorry, DesertFox, but I thought that was the one. I don't have it, but I have seen the description somewhere in a book. Sorry for describing that book for you. I just thought that was the one. Man is my memory fading fast as I get older.

dano6

Death of Wittmann and the Rocket-Story

There's an excellent article by Renato Niemas on Wittmann's final battle in 'Military Illustrated' mag, May 1999.

Niemas accepts that there is no conclusive evidence as the events are shrouded in 'FOW' but has sifted through the evidence and come up with 5 scenarios.

1) VC Firefly from 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. The tank 'Velikye Luke' claimed three Tigers that day (gunner: Joe Ekins), another unidentified Firefly claimed one. No other known claims by tankers made.

2) Typhoon rocket. Main source was account by Serge Varin after he examined the wreck of 007 in 1946. '...found an unexploded rocket nearby and with no other entry points visible on the wreck he concluded that it had been destroyed in a rocket attack from a fighter-bomber'. RAF claimed 135 vehicles that day but no activity in that area.

3) Area under considerable artillery bombardment. Brit 5.5 inch could have penetrated rear/top.

4) Locals found craters probably produced by Brit naval guns in the area. An outside chance given the state of the wreck.

5) USAAF bombs were falling short of target in the correct time and place...

The article seems to give credence to Varin's otherwise unsubstantiated claim of 'jabo' rockets but allows the equal possibility that Trooper Ekins got the kill.

Mike O'Brien