Foxhole ?

I oftentimes have some the pixeltroopers not going directly into the foxholes, when there´s other protective terrain (elements) in the same action spot. That´s oftenly small craters (from mortars i.e) or slopes (if the AS with the FH is in a depression, or adjacent to an embankment), as well as road ditches. The tac AI considers these oftentimes as being more protective than a FH, dependent upon particular situation, which can be a spotted enemy, but also a previously used face command.

@RockinHarry makes a good point but the answer to your question is Yes they need to be in the fox hole to benefit from it.  I have found that spiting teams helps a squad to get into fox holes.  Facing can also help encourage errant guys to shift around and get in.

This is one area that certainly needs improvement. I'm not sure why it's hard to do. The TacAI is supposed to seek the best cover isn't it?

Beats me.  I see this kind of behaviour when there is bocage near by - which is pretty good cover and lets you fire through it.  Fox holes on grass I don't really see issues with most of the time.  Other than non split squads of course.  If a multi team squad is not split and it chooses secondary and tertiary AS's for the second and third team that do not happen to have fox holes they will find the best cover in those AS's and not go to the next AS for the fox holes.

Beats me.  I see this kind of behaviour when there is bocage near by - which is pretty good cover and lets you fire through it.  Fox holes on grass I don't really see issues with most of the time.  Other than non split squads of course.  If a multi team squad is not split and it chooses secondary and tertiary AS's for the second and third team that do not happen to have fox holes they will find the best cover in those AS's and not go to the next AS for the fox holes.

I've still seen split squads have issues with foxholes in open terrain. In one of the MG campaigns, I had split teams in foxholes on top of sand dunes and I still had to fiddle with them. The issue with the hedgerows is more understandable and probably the reason why you can't put a foxhole on a bocage AS.