Question about Campaign creation and Randomization

Hello comrades!

Recently I have been playing the Russian campaign, "Crossing the Dnieper" and I've really been enjoying it. So much so that it has got me thinking about making my own campaign, mostly for my own enjoyment but if I feel that it is good enough (and if I ever get around to finishing it) I may upload it for others to experience. 

Anyways, my question is: Is there any way to add some level of randomization to where units are placed? For example, if I were to make a mission where a Russian Motorized force (would be player controlled) is attacking a Ukrainian defensive line, is there any way to randomize slightly where the Ukrainian positions would be? The reason I ask is because if I end up making the campaign for my own enjoyment, it would take a lot away from it if I knew exactly where the Ukrainian defenders were set up, thus making it unrealistic and rather boring. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I'm very new to anything that can be considered modding or map making for CM, and I will likely just cut out chunks of the master maps for the stock campaigns instead of making my own maps, so please go easy on me!

You can create multiple AI plans and place the units in different locations for each AI plan. Net result 5 potentially different locations they could start from.

Best starting point is to open another scenario in the editor, check to see if it has multiple AI plans assigned then look through each plan. You can then deactivate all but one, and run them in scen editor mode to see how each behaves. Do that for each plan and you can see how someone else approached it. That was the way I started and while I am far from an expert, I can at this point at least understand how the plans get built.

Edited by sburke

Just one heads up  - cause I spent a long time before I finally figured this out - if you start the scenario in test mode while you are in the player controlled setup phase the AI units will *not* be in the start locations that the AI plan will use they will be in the default deployed locations.  You have to hit the BRB to see where the AI will start them off.