Myth of Invincibility...in the trenches

BLSTK

Thanks, Gents. The briefing does state that occupying the abandoned trenches is part of the objective. What confused me was that when you clicked on one of them the "Move" button would appear. Not unlike a TRP. Which led me to believe I could actually "occupy" them by placing them within reach of my forces. Silly me.

Slightly off topic (from me? who'da thunk it?), I expended 55 of 60 rounds of 81mm mortar trying to take out that rickety old wooden bridge. That's all the arty you get in this scenario, so yeah, it was a big gamble on my part. Despite several direct hits, the bridge is still standing. WTF? It works on buildings. Why not bridges?

Slightly off topic (from me? who'da thunk it?), I expended 55 of 60 rounds of 81mm mortar trying to take out that rickety old wooden bridge. That's all the arty you get in this scenario, so yeah, it was a big gamble on my part. Despite several direct hits, the bridge is still standing. WTF? It works on buildings. Why not bridges?

In a PBEM game my opponent knocked down a stone bridge with off map arty.  I think he had 105mm arty.  So it's possible.  Maybe those five additional rounds would have done it.  ;)

So, it can be done. Good to know, though it is of little consolation to me at this point. There is no way a bridge made of toothpicks should have withstood several direct hits from 81mm mortars. (Perhaps the game engine "abstracts" the Russian sappers' ability to repair said structures using "SuperGlue".)

Incidentally, those last five rounds were of the smoke variety. I managed to salvage something of the fiasco by setting up an ambush in which one Tiger and two Panthers destroyed nine T34/85's. You might say it was the Russian armour that went up in smoke.