Tanks and reversing (backing up).

Karabekian

I have a question that I would like to have some opinions on. In the game we use the reverse order a lot. But the AI is incapable of managing it.

However, is it even slightly realistic to actually drive backwards in a tank for any long distance? Out of immediate view of the enemy I do understand or on flat and open terrain. But in built up areas or forests etc?

Pictures and videos of destroyed or under attack AFV show them in all manner of positions while in game my tanks end up dead with their gun dead center. 

It does give the player an advantage over the AI and somehow it makes the battlefield somewhat bland. I tried playing with a bit less micromanaging and the engagements became quite thrilling (but with somewhat higher casualties) compared to the head on shoot-out I usually get. I think that maybe I could have my own house rule depending on how plausible it is. 

Edited by Karabekian

If the tank is unbuttoned, it is realistic enough to back up for some distance, although obviously in the absence of a second hatch (ie, help from the loader, etc) the commander won't be able to devote his full attention to any fighting.  I've never been in a WWII tank, but I'd guess that if the tank was buttoned it would be very very difficult to see to the rear via vision slits, etc.

If the tank is unbuttoned, it is realistic enough to back up for some distance, although obviously in the absence of a second hatch (ie, help from the loader, etc) the commander won't be able to devote his full attention to any fighting.  I've never been in a WWII tank, but I'd guess that if the tank was buttoned it would be very very difficult to see to the rear via vision slits, etc.

Well you don't really need to see what's behind you, because you know you just came driving that way, so the road is clear. And if it's not completely clear, well, you're in a tank.

Well you don't really need to see what's behind you, because you know you just came driving that way, so the road is clear. And if it's not completely clear, well, you're in a tank.

Not really; you've typically done some jockeying around to get into position, etc, and so its not like you drive straight up and then can back right out--the OP was talking about backing up "for any long distance", so not just backing up from your firing position back into a covered position, which I agree wouldn't be that complicated.