what units have been sited in the ukrain currently? Also choppers in game?

Destraex1

Especially with regard to Russian tank classes. Just wondering what the force composition of the current conflict is compared to what we have in game nowe.

Also with regard to helicopters. I assume they are unseen in game still? We cannot create scenarios with helicopters or osprey landing and taking off?

Especially with regard to Russian tank classes. Just wondering what the force composition of the current conflict is compared to what we have in game nowe.

Right now all that's been spotted for sure has been T-72B3s in terms of what's in game.  The Oplots and T-64 derivatives are all present in some form or the other right now, although the more advanced Ukrainian tanks might be around in single digit numbers vs in common use.  

Also with regard to helicopters. I assume they are unseen in game still? We cannot create scenarios with helicopters or osprey landing and taking off?

Yep.  They're still off map support.  Realistically most air insertion forces wouldn't be dropping off so close to hostile forces, and especially with the sort of anti-aircraft assets are in CMBS, an Osprey wouldn't be putting itself so close to the frontline.  

I understand Russia has been pulling T64B1s from their stocks up north in the Petersburg area to arm the - ahem- 'separatists' as erzats 'captured equipment'. This can be simulated in-game by switching from 'Blue vs Red' in the editor to 'Blue vs Blue', purchasing T64BV from Ukraine for red then switching back to 'Blue vs Red' again. Behold! Captures Ukrainian equipment!

I heard a funny story recently. A recon team from Ukrainian128th mountain brigade in the Debaltseve area came upon an unattended T64B1 in a rebel occupied village. So what did they do? They stole it! Its now fighting under the Ukrainian flag!

post-36386-0-21509100-1423520097_thumb.j

I understand Russia has been pulling T64B1s from their stocks up north in the Petersburg area to arm the - ahem- 'separatists' as erzats 'captured equipment'. This can be simulated in-game by switching from 'Blue vs Red' in the editor to 'Blue vs Blue', purchasing T64BV from Ukraine for red then switching back to 'Blue vs Red' again. Behold! Captures Ukrainian equipment!

I heard a funny story recently. A recon team from Ukrainian128th mountain brigade in the Debaltseve area came upon an unattended T64B1 in a rebel occupied village. So what did they do? They stole it! Its now fighting under the Ukrainian flag!

That's a T-72B. There has been a lot of equipment changing hands lately. Saw a video with a rebel-captured BM Bulat in really cool cross-hatched snow camo recently. Will have to find that again.

Edited by akd

Right now all that's been spotted for sure has been T-72B3s in terms of what's in game. The Oplots and T-64 derivatives are all present in some form or the other right now, although the more advanced Ukrainian tanks might be around in single digit numbers vs in common use.

Yep. They're still off map support. Realistically most air insertion forces wouldn't be dropping off so close to hostile forces, and especially with the sort of anti-aircraft assets are in CMBS, an Osprey wouldn't be putting itself so close to the frontline.

no plan survives contact with the enemy. And hoping for no contact is a hard assumption to make. I still vividly remember those scenes of the Russian hinds rolling at top speed over Ukrainian I think roads aaaat the beginning of the conflict. Not saying choppers do not avoid conflict. But those hinds are armed to the teeth, they engage at kms range but I imagine there are instances where they are required to extract under fire.

p.s. If I down repped you it was an accident on this phone. Let me know and i will undo it.

things are tiny and the touch screen not very accurate.

Edited by Destraex1

Don't worry about it man.  It's just internet cred.

In terms of inserting troops, it's a pretty vulnerable position to be in.  In practice air assault operations are usually to rapidly insert troops someplace before the enemy can show up, or deployed to more or less get troops someplace remote to conduct dismounted operations.  SOF operates differently but does not exactly plan direct insertions on top of enemy troop concentrations.