Is it best to leave a "TC" with the BMP2?

gunnersman

I never played the Red side much withe CMSF, so I do not remember this dilemma. But I never realized the BMP 2 does not have a dedicated TC (for lack of a better term). Is it best leave a commander with the BMP? Or is it just as well to dismount all of your troops and have them advance?

Im playing "Interdiction" (my second game after install).  I am the Ukranians in this scenario.

It's like the Stryker. The senior dude on the vehicle is the squad leader, he goes with the dismounts.  The gunner takes over the vehicle, but from my understanding of Russian doctrine, the BMP is supposed to operate similar to a large armored heavy weapons team in relation to the squad, so the squad leader is still "vehicle commander" he's just doing it from out and about.

I was just play a scenario yesterday, I forgot which one,  where Russians were rolling in the direction of my Ukrainian bmps. I hastily grabbed the nearest unit, split them and sent a team into the BMP so they'd have some commander 'eyeballs' to scout for targets. I unbuttoned them too so the commander would be heads-up. A very dangerous move considering the number of snipers but BMP-2 is previous-generation and doesn't have the best situational awareness in the best of times.

Thanks guys.

I was just play a scenario yesterday, I forgot which one,  where Russians were rolling in the direction of my Ukrainian bmps. I hastily grabbed the nearest unit, split them and sent a team into the BMP so they'd have some commander 'eyeballs' to scout for targets. I unbuttoned them too so the commander would be heads-up. A very dangerous move considering the number of snipers but BMP-2 is previous-generation and doesn't have the best situational awareness in the best of times.

Yea, this is how Im treating it. I figure it is best to have someone getting a view of things on the BMP. The next dilemma is with or with out binoculars! Only the squad leader has them and I prefer to keep him on the ground.

Edited by gunnersman