Best squad level game I've seen yet!

I have been trying out the demo for the last week or so and all I can say is "Excellent!". I plan to order as soon as a completion date is posted. In the mean time I have a few questions about the final version.

Will it primarily be for PBEM or will the single player AI be made more difficult? What I mean is, will there be different difficulty settings? I have noticed that the scenarios are very easy to win using the AI.

In a campaign game, will squads be allowed to withdraw from the current scenario being played, to be used in the next scenario? This would simulate troops falling back from a rapid advance or prevent troops from being captured.

Can the scenario maps, in DYO, be made larger than 800m X 800m? I realize the Campaign maps will be about 5000m X 3000m. I have some ideas and may need a large scenario map.

What will be the max number of platoons and armoured units that can be deployed in a scenario?

Hi and welcome,

i'll try and answer these to the best of my knowledge

I believe the difficulty level can be increased by unit quality/quatity. The Ai is designed to offer a game as close as possible to human reactions to a situation, I'' let otheres expand more on the AI but I find it better than anything I've seen.

Squads/crews can bea carried over into the next scenario of an operation

THe maps can be a maximum of 5 km by 5 km - pretty damn big :-P You have total freedom of design in the editor and you have the DYO which you can set general prefs an let the computer design the scenario at random

Hope that helps

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Good job, SS Panzerleader. And welcome, Strat! I'll add in just a few minor comments:

- there is a bug in the beta demo which skewed the way victory levels were calculated. So when you saw a total victory, all you really got was most probably a minor one smile.gif Has been fixed for the full version.

- campaign (or as they are officially called now - operation) maps are usually quite big (not under 1200m I think). If you want a battered unit to withdraw, simply move them out of harms way and chances are they'll be there (reinforced and resupplied) for the next battle.

- Scenario maps are a little smaller than operational maps, 4km is the limit IIRC.

- The max. number of units per scenario is pretty much left to what your hardware can handle. Mine (P3 - 550 Mhz with Diamond Fusion 3D & 16 MB) handles two battalions top. The problems are the VRAM needed to display so many different textures, but also simply the time it'll take you to play through such a monster.

Strat-

Actually, the operation maps can be up around 6k x 12k or something like that. Each battle map can be up to 3k x 5k. So you can have an operation that incorporates several large battles on one huge map. You just get to fight on up to 3k x 5k of the op map at a time.

citizen

Alright, I just doublechecked with the full version. To get it right - operation maps can be up to 15 square kilometers (5 x 3km). Scenario maps can be up to about 5 square kilometers (4 x 1.2km) (although you'll need a VERY fast computer to be able to handle one complete map of that size). It also should be mentioned that these limits might vary by the time the game ships, since they really only protect the players from themselves...the game *could* handle more than that probably, but our computers not smile.gif

Hmm... The Operational maps have shrunk over the last few months. I recall (and a search confirms) that sizes like 8000 meters (by something) used to be the Op size and 3km x 5km was the max size of the battle maps. I guess I'll have to wait for CM2 for that.

I'll definately be making custom scenarios with fighting in bad weather to get "Recon Mission" like I was hoping. CM's versatility rules!

citizen

(Who once got Keith Z of Atomic to seriously consider including a 1km x 1km CC map).

Citizen,

Those sizes you talk about sound like they were way back when wink.gif.. It's been 3 x 5 km for a good while now.. Anyways, that's enough to play in trust me. It's enough room for maneuvre and more than enough to gobble up a battalion on the attack.

Fionn,

(who once got Keith Z to seriously consider hiring a hitman wink.gif )

Quote:

who once got Keith Z to seriously consider hiring a hitman

ROFL, but I don't think you need to worry, as he probably doesn't go after 3rd graders anymore. (Usenet thread)

Craig (just because you're paraniod, it doesn't mean there isn't someone trying to kill you)

dammit, how do you guys make that quote thingamabob work anyway?

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 12-21-99).]

Guest Madmatt

Craig,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>dammit, how do you guys make that quote thingamabob work anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on the FAQ link up above on the page and all your questions will be resolved!

Madmatt out...

combathq.thegamers.net smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-21-99).]

Craig,

Oh it wasn't my usenet posting (since at that time I didn't want to get embroiled in the insane usenet war Keith was stoking up by calling very knowledgeable wargames "morons" etc.

I think the fact he isnt doing PR for CC4 speaks for itself.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers