Playing from a Command perspective

All this debate on FOW and how the game is not called WWII commander has got me thinking. Has anyone tried to play the game only from the view of the HQ's on the map.

During the pregame setup you can take the view of any unit on the map, after that try using the first person view of only the HQ units on the map. You can use the zoom levels, simulating Bino's, but you can't take the view point of any of your squads. You can still give orders to move and fire but only use the Over head view, this simulates looking at a map and giving move orders, you can tell units to target units you can see, otherwise depend of the Unit Tac AI.

I only tried this for two turns of the Last Defense scenario and it is different to say the least. Makes you move your HQ's to get a better view of the action. In this scenario I am only going to use the Maj and the Company CO as my view points. I am interested to see how this goes once the action get real busy. This also will add new life to the demo scenarios as I await the real thing. Out from here.

John

Sappers Forward!!!

[This message has been edited by John Rainey (edited 11-02-99).]

[This message has been edited by John Rainey (edited 11-02-99).]

Guest Madmatt

GOPT???? GOPT!!!!! errr ummmm I think I meant 'GOT' but now I aint soo sure...

smile.gifredface.gifsmile.gif

Madmatt....not out just done!

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-02-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

BTS could add a feature where the game would only allow you to play this way. CM5? So when your HQ's get wacked you then get to see the view from the French girl peering through her window wink.gif...of course next in command would get control.

Tongue only half-way in cheek smile.gif

How about a simple OOB screen based on HQs?

HQ Strength Ammo

Lt. Joe 80% Low

Lt. Guy 35% Low

I think this is actually a good middle-ground solution to the OOB question, while also not going too far into the "spreadsheet" mentality of wargaming. You can see at a glance roughly how each of your platoons are doing, which is the same type of info you may have if actually commanding them.

Any thoughts, or this totally hare-brained?

I like the HQ info idea, how about make the accuracy of the info dependent on the command link from HQ to subordinate units. The longer the unit has been out of command the less accurate or less quantity of info.

I half way through playing a game of Last defense in this style and it adds some atmosphere when playing against the AI. Starting a PBEM game this Sunday, we'll post how it goes against a Human opponent.

Johh

Sappers Forward!!!

The one thing I would add is that you have the option to cycle first and formost through the unit commander and sub commanders then through each sub uit if necessary. then you should be able to call up a "Map" screen for a 2d overhead map. This reminds of of the post I made a few months back that i want an infantry platoon leader simulator.

Los

Los,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This reminds of of the post I made a few months back that i want an infantry platoon leader simulator.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you get enough of that in real life? smile.gif

Seriously I like Johnnymo's idea. Only thing I would change is make it an overhead map (as Los suggested) with the HQ units locations identified with color coded status for each of their formations. (i.e. Green = okay, Amber = taken some hits, Red = Danger point, Black = No longer fit for combat).

This would be very much like the SITMAP every commander uses, would be something that could be glanced at quickly and then put away (i.e. closed). Much better than a text based interface I believe.

Just throwing my 2 cents in smile.gif

Along these lines I've been thinking of playing a game where I restrict myself to the #1 1st person perspective view (troops viewpoint) with zooming only from officer led units or vehicles (binos). No roaming around the map in #1 view either, just rotation around the unit locked to. I can only give orders from the perspective of the unit locked to in the #1 view, not from any other unit. I'd most likely have to cycle through my units with +/- since I wouldn't always be able to see them from the unit i'm currently locked to. Talk about difficult. Now listening posts and picket lines have some real-world importance. Hardcore...

-Ren

Guest Michael emrys

Hey, you guys are doing some great brainstorming here!

Note to Reynaud: The zooming limited units with binocs is a neat touch, but if historically implemented might alter the balance of a scenario significantly in favor of the Germans who tended to be lavishly supplied with them. Not only every officer, but the leaders of MMG fire teams, platoon sgts., etc. In the American army even the officers usually lacked them. That's one reason why captured German binocs were so prized.

Michael

The ggod thing would be, that if you have the game set to command perspective only, then there is also a bino command (A new view key, say 6 or 7.) Since we are in a 3d environment where we should be able to zoom without to many technical difficulties. And from the bino view you could also give commands.

Los

Question: Is the C&C radius of a HQ unit dependant on the status of the unit? What I am particularly referring to is hiding/not hiding. If your HQ is hiding your C&C should be reduced. In the same vein if you want to issue new orders to your subsidiary units you should have to unhide the HQ (possibly not fire orders but definitely move orders).

Gee Whiz, have we created Command Mission here? A game within a game. A few code tweeks and - - - - --

I seem to remember a previous thread declaring that playing only via a commander's position would be boreing. I don't recall reading of too many commanders being bored in combat. I do remember that some were relieved, rested or transfered due to becoming overwhelmed by the experence. Yeah, CM is quite a vehicle for viewing war, safely, whether commander perspective or GI or the other national equivlant terms.

I did not see an idea floated here that did not have merit. I particularly liked the addition of the FOW to the info commanders recieve about units even when they are in C&C and I liked the map idea, a sit map kept up by the staff. Now give me a platoon to command, a map and a compass while cutting the advantage of total freedom to view the battlefield and - - - Wow! such tension and excitment would endanger the seat of my pants.

The more scenario design capabilities, the more flexable the better. Reality rocks! Is this just one game?