Green Dots on Off Map Arty

I just wanted to confirm - the green dots one sees on an off-map arty unit when calling in artillery fire is meant to indicate the number of tubes in the battery? I noticed one battery with 6 dots but only lets you fire 4 guns so I'm confused.

Aldo, how does one put that to practical use? Does it tell me that a three-tube heavy barrage is about equal to a 6 tube medium? Or how fast ammo will be used up? Or how big the radius is of area fire, or the length of linear fire?

Not related to this - I always assumed that the volume of fire is fixed for a given barrage, so many shells in so much time, so if one has double the area, or double the length for linear fire, it would half the saturation, would it not?

Edited by Bud_B

Not related to this - I always assumed that the volume of fire is fixed for a given barrage, so many shells in so much time, so if one has double the area, or double the length for linear fire, it would half the saturation, would it not?

I belive that is correct, yes. Someone at one point created an ammo usage chart for various artillery pieces in the game. I did not keep a link to it though.

IIRC, the green dots gradually turn red when the tubes/guns fire to provide feedback on overheating. The tubes/guns will slacken fire if/when overheating occurs.

Oooohhhh.. I'll have to see that in action then. I thought I saw them go from all green to some green/some grey, and had no clue what that meant

Edited by Bud_B