Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Seeking one pair of pbem players to playtest...

True...my dismounted crews, much as I wish they wouldn't, frequently display a penchant for continuing their attack utilizing only sidearms. Many perform a useful service by absorbing enemy munitions. Sigh. I'd prefer they didn't, but it is hard to restrain them.

I cannot test Renault behavior, atm.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little Renaults' TCs duck down inside the turret to shoot, at least in FI. There have been anecdotes of the TC getting a solid spot on a target, ducking inside to lay his gun, and losing the spot... So he pops his head back out, reacquires the target, ducks down.... That might've been fixed though. :)

I like those little Renaults. Every infantry squad (or maybe platoon) should have one. As a pet :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bad idea IMO. The Germans are up against it already, letting the Allied player know what they have is holding their hand unnecessarily and/or making it very difficult for the Axis player.

In reality you would be cautious all the way ( standard disclaimer : unless, c3k :P )

I agree with @Baneman there is no need for the Allied player to be under the impression it is going to be easy. They *should* be cautious driving through those roads wondering where the enemy is.

Okay, being within 6-7 minutes of the first reinforcement wave with c3k, with me playing Axis and c3k having played Axis earlier and knowing the Axis force composition, I think the Allied player should be given a heads up about the force they are up against. While I am not claiming a victory I feel good about the chances of my reinforcements arriving and supporting my position on the north bank before they are destroyed. I don't believe having an idea of the Axis force capabilities will make the Allied player throw caution to the wind, at least not initially: the Axis AT guns make the open spaces dangerous as does the air support, and, the Axis also have a lot of infantry based AT assets that make the wooded areas dangerous. But, if the Allied player is able to locate and destroy the AT guns they will be better positioned to take on the remaining Axis forces in the limited time available prior to the first reinforcement wave. Of course we are still a long way off in both of our games, so I am not predicting any outcomes there either. I just wanted to revisit the subject and keep it in the forefront of our minds as we play through this first battle.

Well in this play through I am finding less of your guys hiding where they were last time... Overwatch teams have managed to spot a few of your AFVs and try to take them out but only one scout team actually ran into opposition this time. The other thrust is is still trying to find someone the chew up. Come out, come out where ever you are :)

The idea of the scenario is to simulate a CMx1 style Operation. This is done by fighting all the battles on a very large map which offers a persistent environment. In this battle the Allied player has a series of phase lines that are labeled "do not cross before (time)". The first battle's phase line is just on the north side of the bridge with "do not cross before 11:45" instructions. In this video Ken (c3k) has crossed between 11:47 and 11:48. Well done! The next one should be more difficult

• 4 months later...

A project update:

So far I've got 3 games going. I am the defending Germans vs c3k and IanL and I am the attacking Allies vs Baneman. At various times we have all had to take breaks. A 4 hour battle would take ~240 turns per player which is ~ 8 months at one turn a day. In one game we are past the 2nd reinforcement wave, in one we are past the first, and in one we are still working our way through the opening phases of the battle. Kudos to these 3 chaps for the willingness to sign up for an extended pbem tour of duty (although I think there are dedicated pbem'ers who would salivate at the idea of an ongoing battle of this nature).

There have been a couple of issues brought to light as the result of the scenario, I consider them engine limitations rather than bugs, but I do not know this as fact. They are:

One must restart the game after loading and playing a turn prior to attempting to load another turn, e.g., I get a turn from 2 opponents, I load one and play it, I must restart CMBN to be able to play the other turn otherwise the game crashes.

One must limit unit waypoints (currently using 8 as a max) or at some point unit movement grinds to a halt (units only moving a fraction of the turn or not at all).

While I think the map could use some polish (I tried to keep aspects of it sparse for better performance), at a little over a third of the way through I think things are going well all things considered. I'm bumping this in case there are others who might enjoy the ordeal.

• 1 month later...

Okay, the project been shelved due to OOM error. I am writing to see if anyone with a Mac (CM for Mac is a native 64 bit program) would be interested in trying to load one turn file. c3k, IanL, Baneman, and I all have Windows machines (CM for Windows is a 32 bit program). We all believe we are getting the OOM error due to limitations of the Windows version so it would be nice to test the one turn on a Mac to see if we have reached a limitation or stumbled upon a "bug". So, if you own a Mac with 8gb of RAM or more and are willing to try to load one turn please send me a pm and I'll send you the turn.