Can a tank crew operate a tank that is not its original one?

In a recent battle, I had a panzer crew panic and abandon a perfectly serviceable MkIV. The crew was killed trying to escape. If another crew is available (ie their panzer was slain and they survived) could they climb in the still serviceable MkIV that is not their own? If they can, is there a distinction placed on the type of tank? (ie. could a MkIV crew operate a Panther?)

That particular vehicle in which they entered battle.

If you dismount two crews, and have one crew lose the TC and loader, and the other crew loses all but the TC and loader, the two crews cannot combine. Nor can the "extra" guys load into the "base" crew's tank.

You'll end up with two "short" crews.

(Edited to add: You'll want to protect your crews. Vehicle operation is less efficient with fewer crewmembers than what it should have.)

I would consider real situations rather than what's convenient to the player. When an actual WW2 crew got their ride shot, they most certainly didn't go combing through the battlefield in the hopes that they might find an empty but intact tank they could jump into. They shouldn't stay in the battlefield, they should head back to headquarters to the staging area and report the loss of their vehicle.

I would consider real situations rather than what's convenient to the player. When an actual WW2 crew got their ride shot, they most certainly didn't go combing through the battlefield in the hopes that they might find an empty but intact tank they could jump into. They shouldn't stay in the battlefield, they should head back to headquarters to the staging area and report the loss of their vehicle.

AFAICT hopping a new ride was common only in one specific situation: when a Platoon or Company commander's tank was disabled but the commander was OK; he would then often "bump" a subordinate crew's TC so he could stay in the fight and continue to command the formation. It seems that sometimes just the formation commander would go to the new vehicle, bumping only the TC and leaving the rest of the current crew in that vehicle, other times the whole crew would swap; I have read of both happening. Regardless, the "bumped" tc and/or crew would then stay with the disabled tank to assist with recovery.

But except for this particular circumstance, I agree it would be extremely rare for a crew to swap vehicles in the middle of combat. Overall, I think it's better that the game is conservative in this area given the gamey abuse that unrestricted crew-hopping could be prone to.

^^^ I agree.

One thing you can do in game to maintain C2 is have your unhorsed TC platoon or company HQ get into another vehicle with a radio and bingo your C2 is restored. So, instead of bumping a subordinate tank crew you can get your company CO into a HT with a radio to at least maintain C2. I have used this to good effect a number of times. All other crews head for the rear or a safe area.