Maps

I believe one of the first custom scenarios I make will be...

'Germans have won the Battle of Britain and landed forces in Kent or East Anglia'. Historically East Anglia is a pretty good starting point for invading Britain (or more specifically England).

The countryside is pretty similar to France and the ordinance survey maps are all available.

I was born in London but grew up in Kent so not entirely sure I want the place ravaged.

East Anglia is pretty open ground (just right for tanks) with a few small towns dotted about.

I'm sure I can find an OS map that has just

about everything I need.

So...beware Ipswich.

Anybody else got a specific (perhaps non-historical) scenario in mind?

Hmmm... good point.

I'm not too fussed about that though (arrghhh

heresy) 'cos I'll make some excuse for myself that they got delayed a few years by bad weather.

BTW... if there are any other UK people..

Did you catch the BBC2 series about the

German campaign in Russia (4 episodes?)

Lots of archive footage, lots of interview with survivors and LOTS of horror stories.

Only last night I thought.. I should be

taping this.

Like the tanks the infantry are also the 1944/45 variant. They Germans have panzerfausts, panzershricks (sp?), mp44, etc. as well as the Brits having the PIAT.

It'd be rough to simulate 1940 style combat with those units.

tgra, I watched the episode on Stalingrad and found it to be very interesting(I taped it).

However the Winter Campaign of 42-43 wasn't covered...Maybe it was in the next episode? If yes, what did they say about it?

BTW, weren't there only 3 episodes(Barbarossa, Stalingrad, and the Russian offensives)?

My favourite WW2 documentary is still "World At War", though.

I am really beginning to think that wargamers are an inflexible unimaginative bunch. Tgra one alternative history coming up.

Germany invades Poland and keeps on going into Russia. The Brits happy to see the Fascists and the Communist tear each other up; holds back to let them duke it out. A couple of years later a somewhat victorious Germany (owning every thing west of Moscow) turns its greedy eyes towards the Low countries and France. Great Briton joins the conflict fully. Cue Operation SeaLion the invasion of Briton in 1944.

------------------

"Armchair Generals never lose any men"-Darstand

I don't think I would slam everyone as much as Darstand < smile.gif> but he is absolutely right.

Some of the best scenarios I have played have been hypothetical. Any scenario that has interesting terrain, forces and design can produce a challenging tactical situation that would be fun to play. Most historical scenarios are highly subjective/hypothetical anyway due to lack of hard information on forces and terrain. Personnally I would really enjoy some battles set in England (or even the US) simply to experience unique terrain of various English localities. Anyway, nothing wrong with hypothetical scenarios.

Ken

Guest Michael emrys

"I believe one of the first custom scenarios I make will be...

'Germans have won the Battle of Britain and landed forces in Kent or East Anglia'."

I foresee a problem with that. Last I heard (and it's been a while so I could be mistaken) CM was only going include equipment and organizations from 1944. That would limit your ability to model any actions occurring in 1940.

Michael

Hi tgra,

I thought the archive footage and eyewitness accounts from the Russian front series were fascinating. Plenty of Bundesarchiv footage and lots in colour! From the last episode I think one of the best chosen was the German occupation of Hungary in March 1944 with film of the Panzer Lehr Division moving into Budapest with Pumas, SPWs etc. Clearly well researched and not the usual sort of stock footage gaffes lazy documentary-makers use (Tigers in the invasion of Poland etc smile.gif)

The BBC still comes up with some excellent war documentaries. One I wished I'd taped was the 2-parter on Normandy shown on the 50th aniv. in 1994. Never released on video. Anybody got it??

Cheers,

Mike