Target/Pause?

right,heres one that may need a look at

playing an Assault QB.

advancing with a squad,near the end of the turn they spot an enemy squad in the tree line about 50 yards ahead.

so,

beginning the next plot,i target the enemy and add a pause command for 15 seconds to the previously plotted move forward turn

ie.as they are moving i pause for 15 seconds while targeting the unit in question,expecting to route them and then continue on.

well,to my suprise,they didnt fire until the pause limit expired.then they starting firing and moving.

is this right? i cant remember seeing this before in the other CMs?

i wouldve expected them to fire and then move on?

...beginning the next plot,i target the enemy and add a pause command for 15 seconds to the previously plotted move forward turn...

Hmmm. Did you try giving the fire order first and then the pause order? I don't know if that would effect what you end up with, but it was the first thought that popped into my head.

Michael

It shouldn't matter which order is given first; they execute independently. Without a save game, I don't think you're going to find an answer "why?".

As an aside, expecting a 15s firing pause to rout an enemy unit is possibly somewhat optimistic unless you know the target's morale state has already been degraded very significantly.

It shouldn't matter which order is given first; they execute independently. Without a save game, I don't think you're going to find an answer "why?".

As an aside, expecting a 15s firing pause to rout an enemy unit is possibly somewhat optimistic unless you know the target's morale state has already been degraded very significantly.

i woudnt have thought so.

i probably have a save.thought id try and replicate it first

edit,i will try the target briefly aswell,good idea

As an aside.

there wasnt/isnt just a lone squad marching towards the contact.the rest of the company was/is close at hand.15 secs was plenty,they were not in a good position to survive.one got away i think but he cant go far:)

It doesn't matter what order the commands are issued, nor does Target Briefly behave any differently. I have logged it as a bug in Red Thunder and Normandy (it's the same in both). It may be too late for the Red Thunder patch, which is at the stage of gestation when BFC will usually only fix catastrophic bugs. But if it gets fixed in one game it will eventually make it's way to the others.

It doesn't matter what order the commands are issued, nor does Target Briefly behave any differently. I have logged it as a bug in Red Thunder and Normandy (it's the same in both). It may be too late for the Red Thunder patch, which is at the stage of gestation when BFC will usually only fix catastrophic bugs. But if it gets fixed in one game it will eventually make it's way to the others.

Yuck. You were able to reproduce this? I have not tried with infantry but I just has some AFVs in CMRT do this fine. They fired at their target while paused and the then moved as ordered after the pause ran out.

It works if you don't use a fire order, but if you plot the Target Briefly order and then a Movement order they aren't sequential, your unit will move firing to the target.

Now I'm really confused.

You have to use a Pause to stop them while they Fire Briefly. We know that. And isn't that what's not working? Or are you saying something else?

Now I'm really confused.

You have to use a Pause to stop them while they Fire Briefly. We know that. And isn't that what's not working? Or are you saying something else?

Sorry if my post was not so clear.

I mean if you use Target Briefly and then a Movement order (maybe Reverse) your tank will not fire and then will move but it will do both actions togheter (firing retreating in the same time).

If you don't use a fire order but just Pause and then a Movement order it will fire if spot something and then it will retreat (not immediately but after the pause).

What are you saying is that if you set a Pause (15 sec.), a Target Briefly (15 sec.) and finally a Movement order it will fire in the first 15 sec and the movement will start immediately after?

Yuck. You were able to reproduce this? I have not tried with infantry but I just has some AFVs in CMRT do this fine. They fired at their target while paused and the then moved as ordered after the pause ran out.

It wasn't hard to reproduce. It works differently than with vehicles, and that is the problem. It's already been fixed, and it looks like the fix may even make it into the Red Thunder patch *crosses fingers*

Sorry if my post was not so clear.

I mean if you use Target Briefly and then a Movement order (maybe Reverse) your tank will not fire and then will move but it will do both actions togheter (firing retreating in the same time).

And what I'm saying is that this is expected behaviour. Target orders have no effect on movement.

If you don't use a fire order but just Pause and then a Movement order it will fire if spot something and then it will retreat (not immediately but after the pause).

Again, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

What are you saying is that if you set a Pause (15 sec.), a Target Briefly (15 sec.) and finally a Movement order it will fire in the first 15 sec and the movement will start immediately after?

Precisely, and that is how it is supposed to work. Target Briefly does not instruct the unit to sit still for the duration of the TB command. You can issue TB to units that you want to be moving (but don't, for example want to be firing for the whole minute). It is required that you add a Pause command to the waypoint if you want the unit to stay there.