Tidbit from "Theirs Is the Glory"

Am watching the film in the usual way, as opposed to viewing the snippets people post on the Forums and noticed something I thought remarkable, in a film already awash in remarkable things and persons. What did I see? Would you believe a "Pheasant," a 17-pdr clearly visible in the foreground as the men begin streaming from the DZ and moving toward Arnhem?

This was a surprise, since I don't recall reading anything about such a weapon being there. In fact, to my recollection, all the Paras had were a handful of 6-pdr guns, which they towed with jeeps, the biggest tow vehicle they had. I strongly suspect, therefore, the honking bird, if you will, was, however cool, ahistorical. Something else which really stood out is how relatively old, compared to American paratroopers, the Paras were who jumped into the Arnhem DZs, as shown by the men themselves who were there and appear in the film.

Regards,

John Kettler

Turns out I was wrong. And I learned this as a result of questioning a UC whizzing past the camera as the troops entered Arnhem. There were specially modified Airborne configured UCs at Arnhem.

http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-universal-carriers-of-british.html

As if that weren't enough, the 17-pdr gun is also correct, towed by, would you believe, the same Morris quad tractor so intimately associated with the 25-pdr? The two posts at the link cover these matters.

http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/search?q=17+pdr

Those who order the new vehicle pack will be able to recreate the action starting at 29:00. Unless my eyes fail me completely, there is a no kidding Char B bis flamethrower tank!

http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/search?q=17+pdr

Regards,

John Kettler

I have "Theirs is the Glory" in my youtube library, I'll have to give it another viewing soon.

In the meantime I'll take a look at your links... Glad to see the pictures of the 17-pdr at the Musuem. My problem is, that on my few visits there I've drunk too much when I've gotten back to Arnhem. So I can never remember what they have on display there.

Glad to see this got straightened out. I was going to mention that the old (it came out ~1979 or 1980) SPI game Highway to the Reich had at least on battery of 17 pdrs in the OB for 1st. Para. I know the old stricture about not trusting games for one's history, but this game was so detailed and accurate in its research that I tend to give it some extra credence.

Michael