v3 and v2 multiplayer compatibility

Hi all,

I did do a forum search for this, but couldn't find it. If it's already been asked and answered, please just point me to the original thread, and I shall hang my head in shame while I read it.

I am thinking of getting the v3 upgrade for CMBN and I just wanted to confirm that I will still be able to play with a mate who has v2, both in PBEM and live games, before I pull the trigger and get it.

TIA.

Nope, sorry. Both games have to be the same versions. It wouldn't be very good if eg. the v3 player's game restricted FOs to one mission at a time while v2 player could give his FOs multiple simultaneous missions :)

You'll have to ask someone who has tried it if it's possible to keep two versions of the game on your harddisk for multiplayer compatibility. I know it's worked before and I've had different working CMBN versions to keep PBEM games going but I haven't tried it with latest versions.

No, not with one install. To PBEM the two users have to be running the same version of the software.

However if your mate is not going to upgrade you can either twist his arm, buy him a copy or make a copy of your existing install and install the 3.0 upgrade on top of that copy so that you have two running versions of the game. One that you use to play your cheap skate mate :D and one for everything else.