looking for mods

Best place to start is CMHQ, Madmatt's combat mission site. Read the articles, check out the pictures, and take a look at CMMOS. The address is combatmission.com. They're a little out of date, but Madmatt's articles on modding are great for orientation.

[if you want to get involved in downloading CMMOS you might want to take a look at something called Field and Stream, along with Leaves of Grass, Shrubbery, Wet and Wild, and Winter Wonderland].

When you're ready to really lose your mind, you can graduate to Combat Mission Mod Database. Cmmods.com is a no-frills site that is not quite as easy to use as CMHQ, but is comprehensive and is where everything new gets posted these days. You have to register to use the site, and the password system is annoying, but it is one of the two most important Combat Mission sites other than this one. (The other site is Scenario Depot, an encyclopedic collection of scenarios and operations, but no mods).

There used to be a wonderful catalog site with pictures and locations of all the different mods, but it seems to be suffering the inevitable fate of third-party websites.

I'm not widely versed in mods, but for what it's worth I'd heartily reccommend all of Magua's environment mods. There's a file called MAGUA_CLUBFOOT_NORMANDY_UTAH_BEACH_CMBO_CMMOS4.ZIP which (I think) contains the lot but it takes a bit of tweaking and common sense to get it to work in CMMOS. Magua's stuff is high quality and goes well together, and also seems to perfectly suit the backgrounds when the horizon is set to unlimited. As far as vehicle and uniform mods go though, I'm not that hardcore. If it bleeds, it can be killed. Or if it explodes, that's good to smile.gif

Play It Cool

-Moog

PS: newsoundmod.zip is also a must-have, but as far as modding goes, it seems that most things are very much a matter of personal preference as there are so many combinations out there.

Just to clarify, Magua's Normandy material is included in CMMOS 4.03 and doesn't require any tweaking whatsoever. Just download the one from the CMMOS section of the CMHQ site.

One of the reasons that I wrote Field and Stream in the first place was to preserve the Normandy mod. If you have a PC and have installed the rulesets and bmp's correctly, you don't have to subject them to any manipulation (in fact it's a bad idea). Field and Stream has a global conversion icon for the terrain, or you can go into Leaves of Grass, Shrubbery, and Wet and Wild to select the parts that you like. To get the building use the Buildings ruleset. We re-used the Magua Normandy Field and Stream icon to make it easier to find. Don't forget to change the roofs.

My bad, got my own n00b wires crossed there...

I had to do a full reinstall last week and subsequently tried putting all my old mods back in in one go. I'd been previously using the version of CMMOS that came with my CMBO CD (3.0 IIRC) with no problems but I had a brief look for new mods and found the new CMMOS with its new rule sets - I started to go a bit mod-crazy!

It was just installing these rule-sets that confused me a bit, the way in which one zip file contains all of the rulesets as other zip files within it. There must have been an easy way to do it but because I wasn't used to this (and I couldn't find anything helpful about installing Rule Sets, everything I read just said "Install the Rule Sets and then..."), I just went at it hammer and tongs, making much work for myself in the process. I shouldn't have used the word 'tweaking', rather 'RTFM first, then you won't have to make changes'.

They all work now though, and for that I'm mighty grateful. I'm not really into experimenting with mods all the time... it's good to try out a few but a keeper's a keeper. Otherwise you'd spend all your time observing the grass and not smoking the enemy. At least I *think* that's the right order... smile.gif

Sorry again for the misunderstanding

-Moog