CM on Dreamcast

No, I'm not on drugs. Just hear me out.

I've recently learned about a new Dreamcast game, called Panzer Front. I haven't found a lot about it, besides 2 40-second movies. It appears somewhat similar to Panzer Elite in theme, though I can't say anything about realism, POV etc. etc.

But, anyway, to bring it back to CM. Steve, Charles, you are always saying that current PCs don't have enough graphical oomph to make CM as pretty as you would like. How about porting it to Dreamcast? If there is a machine that can do it, that's it. Now, I have absolutely no clue about how console development functions...does anybody here? Do you need to pay Sega royalties, or up front costs or something? Anyway, I thought I'd run the idea by you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The problem with that is the main processor in a console system is complete trash.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so for the next-gen systems coming out. The specs on the PlayStation 2 are remarkable (I'm not as familiar with the Dreamcast specs, but I'd bet they could handle a turn-based game just fine). I think that porting CM to a next-gen system is definately within the realm of technical feasability, but I'm not sure if it has the market potential to offset the development costs.

BTW, I was thinking about console potential just the other day as well. I wonder how Panzer/Allied General did on the Playstation...

Dreamcast is the worst system on the new market of gaming system (out of ps2, dophine ,dreamcast)

Don't ever make CM on these console.....

you will not only loose money big time

it will also cause Big Time Software to carry a bad name....

Alright this is only a suggestion

so dont' get too excited about it....:)

Guest GriffinCheng

FYI, there is a Japanese game called "Grand Strategy" which is a soft-core "wargame" (I can any better description for it) which each unit presents a tank unit/infrantry, etc. It has been ported to PC/PSX/SS/NES. It is even less than a "wargame" than Panzer General series.

About the graphics department, it really depends on how much effort the developers put on it. Consider a game on DC (available here in Hong Kong) called "Gundam 0079 Side Story - Rise from the Ashes", it is an "MS sim" but the map for each stage, you can travel it in less than 3 minutes across it diagonally. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 12-08-99).]

err I own a Playsation and will be getting a PSX2 when it comes out, and I think your generalising when you say people who own consoles don't want realistic games. Average age of a PSX owner is in the mid 20s and up.

Gran Turismo 2 was the most realistic driving game out there, its almost like driving a real car (nothing on a PC comes close!) and it sold 6+ million units! smile.gif

As long as a game is good, and revolutionary, it will sell buckets.

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/