Need help from an Abrams tanker

Here's why. I was talking to a neighbor who was a combat Marine in Iraq. He told me about an incident when he was in boot camp at MCRD (believe I got that right), a protracted stay of four months because he got a bad case of pneumonia, in which a DI needed an M1A1 driven about 7 miles up to a low hill. He said he knew how, though he'd had no training. He had, he said to me, spent a lot of time with the mechanics in the motor pool. According to him, he drove the tank, not from the driver's position, but from the TC's position. He described how it was done, right down to the purported control boxes,provided a clear description of his performing neutral steering and more. That a Marine M1A1, or any kind of Abrams, for that matter, could be driven in this manner was astounding to me. I've long known about the commander's gun override, but I'd never heard anything about a secondary driving position, never mind where the TC sits. Could one of you M1 tankers in the CM community please clue me in?

Regards,

John Kettler

CPT MIke and Skwabie,

Thanks! Further questioning found that he got kind of turned around in his mind (has been through a lot). He in fact drove it from the usual position and after telling the DI he knew how to drive it, therefore evidently creating the false impression in the DI's mind that he had both the skill set and appropriate credentials.

Regards,

John Kettler