[released] Juju's Red Thunder terrain type preview map

Juju

Not a mod this time, but more of a tool, one might say.

This is a simple map for those who are unclear as to what certain terrain types are or what they look like. I suppose it can also be used as a tool for map designers. Or infantry fatigue tests, if you put some infantry units in there, for example.

It shows all terrain types in the game in a neat row, each one labeled with a landmark text. Also included on the map are all all flavor object, crater, tree, brush, wall, hedge, fence and road types (no buildings or water tiles, though).

Note that CM can have multiple types of terrain in one action spot. The many combinations are not shown.

Be sure to enable landmark text (alt-l)!

Juju

Oddball, I totally agree. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is moddable too, by editing strings.txt. I'm not touching that file, but maybe it's something that Vin could include in his animated text mod. We'd have to ask him, though.

I've just uploaded an updated map. My inexperience with the editor made me miss over a hundred flavor objects! Turns out there are actually 151 of these things. Many I had never seen before, and some really cool ones indeed.

I've just uploaded an updated map. My inexperience with the editor made me miss over a hundred flavor objects! Turns out there are actually 151 of these things. Many I had never seen before, and some really cool ones indeed.

Could you change the map so that you don't use landmarks to annotate the terrains but objectives instead?

Objectives have white text :) Much easier to see (or in my case, possible to see since I just can't read the red ones)

Good idea Oddball, let me see what I can do about that, okay.

Edit: just checked the manual and it's a no-go. You can only assign up to eight terrain based objectives per side. Sorry Oddball.