Siege of Kut: Questions about design

Ok, short story: I'm playing this scenario with Strategiclayabout, my dear multiplayer nemesis when it comes to Battlefront titles :D

Long story short: He went with Brits, I went with Turks, managed to beat his land forces but on turn 25 he put an airship from relief force near Kut and BAM! here comes Major Victory for him and a whip from sultan for me :confused:

Q1: What I mean is: Is it supposed to work like that? I can understand a land units support should work - more or less it's 1,000 to 5,000 soldiers when it comes to detachment or brigade, but an airship? They got the post, some supplies and MV for brits, bye bye P2? More or less, it would require a heavy screening of all Kut border titles and suffering constant damage from superior Kut defenders counterattacks, not to mention lack of resources to oppose Relief force efficiently.

Q2: If it's not supposed to work like that (since it's a bit gamey), what's the proven, efficient strategy for this scenario for British forces? We've both tried brits and Relief forces seems to lack enough punch to crack ottoman lines, artillery or not - Strat suggested heavy cav approach, I've mixed some arty into this idea, but we're unsure if that should work - anybody tried it successfully in mp?

Savegame (Breakthrough! latest patch version):

http://www.4shared.com/zip/vA9d3762ba/Kut025.html

PS. PM me for the savegame pass.

- Yep I second that, first we found air units useless in this campaign (low strategic bombing ability, weak soft attack) safe for some long distance recon (not worth the MPPs).

- But then I realized victory conditions allowed ANY unit from the relief force to work so I decided to try and operate UK airship to Kut: as said above BAM game over ! Turks don't even have a turn to answer the move.

Honestly at this point that's not "a bit gamey" that's just a game killer !

Hi

There is unfortunately no way to tell the engine that it should only be looking at land units when determining if the Victory Conditions have been met, so the positioning of the Airship there will have the unintended effect as you've described.

There are only really two alternative solutions then, the first being to remove all air units from the game, the second being to have a gentleman's agreement in multiplayer not to make that move with air units.

Is the second a potential outcome, as that way the limited use of aircraft could be represented as it was historically?

I have seen the game go either way in multiplayer, and artillery is important for British success, as are Ottoman reckleness, and keeping Townshend's force fairly safe, if possible. But overall it is definitely one where the more skilled player should play the British.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...