issues,wishes,disappointments,...

Not really. If you're wanting grazing fire (which fire at the ground any distance away is, effectively), you're aiming past where you want to suppress. It's just a different way of achieving it than having a "Target - Grazing" command. Where it's rubbish is that sometimes there isn't anywhere to aim (if there's trees behind, for example).

And in general, the inability to target a wall because you can't see the ground in front of it (or behind it in the case of the building) is frustrating beyond all measure. But that's an engine limitation that isn't going away until, apparently, we all have Deep Thought on our desks, since the LOS matrix approximations are necessary to allow the game to run.

Well, yes, it is. How about if there was no hill to aim at? Which is 99% of the time?

Yes, I understand it's an engine limitation. That's what I'm railing at.

Well, yes, it is. How about if there was no hill to aim at? Which is 99% of the time?

Hyperbole aside, how often does it come up when a tank has spotted something and can't effectively fire at it? And when such a situation comes up, what are the chances that the player's unrealistic position as God doesn't have some half dozen totally unrealistic ways to deal with it? And how many of those times would the player not use those unrealistic ways to deal with it even if the tank in question could fire at the ground effectively.

Sure, I agree that there are very limited and uncommon circumstances where deliberate grazing fire is not possible and could make a difference. But not enough to bother dealing with from a game coding standpoint. Plenty of other limitations in the game engine to focus efforts on.

Steve

On the subject of AFVs ramming each other: having in the past sustained various injuries in APCs from sudden lurches, barging into gullies un-announced (thanks driver) etc I would dread the result of crashing into a tank and coming to a sudden stop. Being inside with zero visibility it's hard enough surviving driving over terrain at speed, it's actually quite disorienting. I agree with the assessment of unacceptable risk to crew.

Hyperbole aside, how often does it come up when a tank has spotted something and can't effectively fire at it? And when such a situation comes up, what are the chances that the player's unrealistic position as God doesn't have some half dozen totally unrealistic ways to deal with it? And how many of those times would the player not use those unrealistic ways to deal with it even if the tank in question could fire at the ground effectively.

Sure, I agree that there are very limited and uncommon circumstances where deliberate grazing fire is not possible and could make a difference. But not enough to bother dealing with from a game coding standpoint. Plenty of other limitations in the game engine to focus efforts on.

Steve

It is often the defining issue in a game. Recently I played "MG Counterattack at Son" vs. Doug and not being able to fire over berms to keep the enemies head down, or over foxholes - or even AT foxholes, was the nature of the game to the extent that I quit halfway through and Doug and I went to something else.

Then I quit CM as it was driving me crazy - hyperbole aside, THAT is how bad it is.