Install problem on win 7.

BrassEm

Saw the videos and read the forums. Seemed like a simple "add privileges" to get the games working in win7. So went ahead and bought it.

Did the default install to C:\Program Files (x86). After install the desktop icons were default windows so no surprises there. Went in and changed privileges and run as admin, changed ownerships etc to no avail. Uninstalled including the Xvid directory. (Manual uninstall.)

Installed to C:\ this time to get around some of win7 privileges issues like many other games. (This time the path is C:\Battlefront\Akella\PT Boats).

Still got the dialog box when trying to execute the executables.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Fine...

I've gone in and changed the run as admin settings, changed ownership to administrators, then user, to no avail. Checked that all admin and users have full permissions. I have full control of all the files except the 3 .exe files for the game. The editor comes up okay.

Still cannot get around the denial on the .exe's. Anyone had any joy getting this game to run on windows 7?

64-bit versions of Windows could sometimes prove problematic for running PT Boats, though I wasn't specifically aware of permissions issues for 64-bit.

Typically all that was usually necessary for permissions was right-clicking on the launching icon and selecting "Run as administrator". If you have installed as a different user and then attempted to play as an user different from the installer account, that MIGHT create issues.

PT Boats uses the eLicense copy-protection system, so you may need to make changes to your DEP settings. The 'Runservice.exe' file will NOT be present until you successfully activate the license key (where it is silently downloaded and installed as a service).

If you have security software may also want to add 'exceptions' for the game/copy-protection executables (though I don't know if this could possibly result in a 'permissions issue').

PT Boats uses the eLicense copy-protection system, so you may need to make changes to your DEP settings. The 'Runservice.exe' file will NOT be present until you successfully activate the license key (where it is silently downloaded and installed as a service).

If you have security software may also want to add 'exceptions' for the game/copy-protection executables (though I don't know if this could possibly result in a 'permissions issue').

Thanks for the super quick reply!

This looks promising... DEP settings got some impossible programs to run for me before. (The original MSFFB2 configuration program for one!)

I hope to post a success.

No success.

E-license control panel not associated with anything thus locking the .exe's out. Hence I cannot even "unlicense" the PT-Boat install to my pc as registered during purchase. Have to deal with Zuggsoft support to see if they can offer any advice. At least I didn't pay a fortune for the software.

The eLicense control panel typically does not work and that is expected. It was originally created for Windows 98 and 2000 and rarely worked with newer versions of Windows.

If you need to unlicense the game, then you can modify the shortcut's command line with the " -unlicense" text string (there is a 'space' and then the 'dash' and then 'unlicense'). This is OUTSIDE of the quotes for the game executable in the TARGET line. This is all mentioned in the Knowledgebase article on manual unlicensing.

Also remember to set exceptions within your security software for the game and eLicense executable. You may want to do this BEFORE activating the license key (and afterwards for the 'Runservice.exe' file).

Thank you Schrullenhaft for your excellent and timely technical support.

Windows 98! now that is legacy!

Definitely got to get this game going. I've noticed some skin technicalities that are of interest. Also the editor seems straight forward. (Not that I've been able to create a mission yet.)

Cheers,