Jagdtiger Vids

OK - perhaps a bit off-topic.

I never knew that video existed of Jagtigers - and with them actually moving. Here are a few examples:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675041535_German-soldiers_arms-and-ammunition_German-tiger-tanks_civilians-wave

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675041536_German-soldiers_arms-and-ammunition_Lieutenant-Ernst_Convoy-of-trucks

These are from the surrender of Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 512

Date: 1945, April 16

(note the Bergepanther at the end of the first vid.)

Barkhorn1x,

I've previously posted links to the earlier arrival and moving into vids for this same event. They're from YT and aren't anywhere near the visual quality of what's here. Of course, not only do these people expect to be paid, but if you want HD, you get to pay for government film on video for $225. Gasp! I find their pricing simply outrageous for that level of resolution. I find that impressive, non penetrating gouge from a strike at the junction between the glacis and lower front hull plates to be a real attention getter, as clearly do the GIs beholding it!

Regards,

John Kettler

Barkhorn1x,

Of course, not only do these people expect to be paid, but if you want HD, you get to pay for government film on video for $225. Gasp!

I agree - these should be hosted by the Smithsonian and available for free.

I find that impressive, non penetrating gouge from a strike at the junction between the glacis and lower front hull plates to be a real attention getter, as clearly do the GIs beholding it!

Regards,

John Kettler

Me too. Taking on a Jagdtiger frontally was not going to do much. I doubt that the M-36s 90mm would do much and a 76mm HVAP had no chance.

Barkhorn1x,

Back in the early 1960s, Dad worked for Goodyear Aerospace. The parent firm of Gppdyear was Goodyear Tire & Rubber, whose best known products are the Goodyear blimps. During WW II Goodyear built rubber track pads for U.S. AFVs so equipped. One of the guys he knew related a chilling radio message he overheard while in an armored unit. Seems some Shermans came barreling around the corner in a German town, only to encounter one of these hulking monsters down the street, pointed generally their way and just about to get a bead on them.

"What do we do?"

"Shoot 'im in the tracks!"

(Repeated with greater urgency and higher pitch)

"Shoot 'Im In The Tracks!!"

(key change, nearly a shriek)

"SHOOT 'IM IN THE TRACKS!!!"

That was the end of the radio traffic.

Regards,

John Kettler