OK, Now I'm Really Impressed!

I posted yesterday about US mortars possibly getting kills on the German AFV’s too easily. I had won 4 games straight, (complete victories in Last Defense) by targeting the German AFV’s with mortars (result in 4 games = 16 kills), hiding everyone, and waiting for the Hellcats to show up.

Well, in game 5, I guess the mortar crews were partying the nite before. They couldn’t hit s**t. (Result, 1 AFV kill, and no ammo left). Plus the AI decided to do a 3-pronged attack instead of rolling all 3 tracks down the middle. He had a STUG on the east, one on the middle and the Tiger in the west.

The German groundpounders advanced with excellent use of cover, with the remaining 3 AFV’s moving up slowly with the tracks, probing and supporting the troops.

My guys kept hiding (the zooks got flushed out of the forward positions and were beat up pretty good), waiting for the cavalry to show up. When, a squad would be spotted, it was immediately pounded by the German armor, and mg’s, etc. What a great feature, during the replay to sit at the troops eyeball level, see all the incoming, they hit the dust, poke their heads up again only to get another lead shower, dive for cover again, tracers everywhere. Talk about realism!

The cavalry arrived and oh, oh only 1 Hellcat had a los to the Tiger, plus the STUGS were not visible either. Ok, kill the big cat, then worry bout the STUGS. Target the Tiger, other Hellcats on hunt. Boom, boom, boom, 3 dead Hellcats.

Well, between the German armor, the mortars, arty, plus all those mg’s and assorted troops, you can guess the outcome.

BTS, this game rocks. Unlike the CC series where once you figure out the AI strategy, victory is pretty well assured, CM keeps surprising me. The AI is very, very good, and with what it currently does, plus the scenario generator, CM will be replayable infinitely.

Steve, question on scenarios, are you going to have a dl/ul section on your site for user created games?

Zulu, you were playing me! I was commanding the Germans and that was EXACTLY how I directed the offensive. There are two ways I'll know it was you inside my computer:

a) Did you kill one of my SPW 251s right near the right-forward house (from the US perspective?

B) Toward the end of the game, just before your last Hellcat died, did it eliminate a MG team that was trying to cross the road right at the bend (at the gap in the treeline)? I ordered it forward to try to keep your infantry from crossing the river on the right (US perspective) side, but it turns out that the team I left behind had a better LOS than I thought.

Man, that was a great game. I won't be playing again til Wednesday night; however you got inside my PC, do so again about 8pm!

DjB

Well the Combat HQ at TGN will be hosting scenarios and TGN has a rating system where people who download the scenarios can vote for which are good and rate them.

That should help.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers