Tweaks of mods and comps?

AstroCat

Just curious how people feel about doing compilations and using other mods and tweaking them? I know for personal use its probably totally ok but I wonder about sharing?

For example, I've made my own sound mod. It uses my own original sounds, tweaked sounds from other people and some that are straight up from other mods. It's a total mishmash of original and gathered materiel. I'd like to share it because I think its pretty fun to use but I would never want to disrespect any other modder's work.

I've also done some UI updates, terrain tweaks, etc... all kinds of stuff but since I really enjoying modding the CM games I have source material from all over the place.

Maybe it's just best to keep doing it for personal use only but I wanted to see what people thought.

Thanks.

I see you use dropbox.... I know for your mods for instance you could have a compilation stored there and update as needed (not sure but you might have this already somewhere - if so let me know as I would like to get all your mods in one dl) that way it is always in one spot and always one folder or download. Or people could just open up the folder and dl the update. You would have to receive an email request from that person for permission to connect to that box. But I believe rights can be restricted to just dl only and not changing anything. Just put a note on the forums saying it has recently been updated.

Hmmm... well bandwidth could possibly be a problem with using Dropbox. Maybe I could use MediaFire or something. I could of course upload something over GreenAsJade's and state very clearly its a compilation mod. Hmm...we'll see. Maybe I'll start with the sound mod and see how it goes, for one because it contains the most original work.

Oh and to my understanding for Mac users the .wav files need to be at 48Khz?

I can only speak for soundmods, but since I do not make any of my sounds myself (as in, I am not a sound engineer), they are all from various internet sources.

And looking at the other soundmods out there, I would have to say that most (if not all) are the same way.

Sure, some may have combined or modified sounds (like I have in some cases) but the original sounds are almost always from other sources.

That, to me, means that the mod creators (in those cases) have absolutely no right to decide how others use their sounds.

The only time I have been annoyed about something like that is when someone used almost exclusively my sounds in their soundmod and called it their own creation.

That kinda annoyed me since it was basically my soundmod but no credit at all was given.

Yeah and to add to your point unless you are going to go out and do the foley work yourself (not gonna for a CM mod! :) )we all pull from the same albeit huge selection of base libraries that exist. Although once we do we try and modify them enough to become our own. I do this at work all the time on certain projects.

My current selection has a good amount from waclaw's compilation although as I mentioned before I've tweaked a good amount of them to my tastes. I wouldn't want to be thought of as just repackaging his set.