Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Breakthrough for SC3

This expansion absolutely needs to be part of SC3, if not on release then definately on an SC3 expansion.

For SC3 it needs the following:

1. Mine fields. Allow destroyers to lay fields for an MPP cost. They would have a % chance of causing damage and stopping movement of naval units. Destroyers can also spend a turn to clear a field.

2. Shore guns. Not the shore gun unit available in the editor but the ability of cities and ports to strike at naval units next to them. I shouldn't be able to float my boats up past Gallipoli for example without risk of getting hit. This could also be accomplished through strength scripts.

3. Attrition. WW1 land units low on supply would have been racked with hunger, disease and desertion. A strength hit each turn on units in very low supply should reduce a land unit.

4. An armed trawler unit to represent commerce raiders as a unit instead of a decision.

5. A slightly larger map with more ocean and more naval unit representation. We don't need sea "areas" in SC3. Part of the fun is moving individual ships around.

6. At sea supply available to ships at sea.

What do you think Bill?

7. Forgot a big one. I HATE it when the enemy garrisons cities with air units and an entire corps cannot destroy the unit on the first turn. Air units should take damage AND automatically retreat within half their range. If no hex to go then they ditch. This is probably a good idea for SC3 in general.

• 2 weeks later...
7. Forgot a big one. I HATE it when the enemy garrisons cities with air units and an entire corps cannot destroy the unit on the first turn. Air units should take damage AND automatically retreat within half their range. If no hex to go then they ditch. This is probably a good idea for SC3 in general.

I have heard this argument before and I will make the same statment I did when this last came up.

Airplanes/baloons need to be able to block hexes/cities.

They are the only types of units you can mobilize just about anywhere and at reasonable cost, which stops the whole 'lone horse unit running all around France(or more commonly Russia) caping towns' syndrome that sometimes happens (in lower skill matches).

Air units stats are already so bad in ground combat that you can't ever efficiently use them on a front line basis and I think that is fair.

What the Game Engine really needs are true Garrisons.

Imagine infantry strengthpoints which you could build and pay just like you buy an anti-air upgrade.

Immobile enhancements, for towns, cities, ressources, FORTRESSES,and maybe even ports.

As long as they are there, no enemy unit can enter the tile. Only after they were destroyed in combat the tile is open to enemy movements. This would even allow some minor stacking.

This would make the rather absurd emergency movements from air ships into Iraq or the deepest russia obsolete.

I hope that this feature will appear in SC3.