RtoM Great maps.

I am on the 14th mission, Eccosseville (?sp), and I just want to express appreciation for the sophistication of the maps.

I realize they were built to real life--itself quite an accomplishment. But there are so many subtle detailed decisions that were made......that is incredibly evident.

Especially on a bocage map, when the Allies have no bocage breaching ability, the positioning of bocage, and the holes in it, take thought--to make the battle both doable and interesting.

Especially since, when setting AI dispositions, lines of sight, and non-sight, are critical with non-reacting units.

I look at this map, and figure it must have taken PT hours to get it the way he wanted. Indeed, this whole campaign is a chess match of subtle terrain and AI unit placement. I can think about the initial strategy on any battle for hours before making the first move.

[Put this in the wish-list thread: the packaged campaigns also have each map as a separate battle. I like campaigns--one battle affecting another so that that units are precious, the story (!). But not everyone's taste is for so many days/weeks of work/play--let them see the maps/battles more easily! Let the hard work be seen!]

I am on the 14th mission, Eccosseville (?sp), and I just want to express appreciation for the sophistication of the maps.

I realize they were built to real life--itself quite an accomplishment. But there are so many subtle detailed decisions that were made......that is incredibly evident.

Especially on a bocage map, when the Allies have no bocage breaching ability, the positioning of bocage, and the holes in it, take thought--to make the battle both doable and interesting.

Especially since, when setting AI dispositions, lines of sight, and non-sight, are critical with non-reacting units.

I look at this map, and figure it must have taken PT hours to get it the way he wanted. Indeed, this whole campaign is a chess match of subtle terrain and AI unit placement. I can think about the initial strategy on any battle for hours before making the first move.

[Put this in the wish-list thread: the packaged campaigns also have each map as a separate battle. I like campaigns--one battle affecting another so that that units are precious, the story (!). But not everyone's taste is for so many days/weeks of work/play--let them see the maps/battles more easily! Let the hard work be seen!]

Is this one of the campaign scenarios that comes with the game?

This is in the works. Just not enough time in the day to do all this. Maybe after Market Garden is done?

And thanks. It's nice to know that the hours and hours of work I put into making each map is appreciated. These were all done in the old-fashioned way: Google Earth with a measuring tool, Google Street view to spot modern buildings an eliminate them, etc.

It also required a lot of creativity to avoid unnatural-looking wiggly roads while keeping the road network reasonably accurate. I just can't play on maps with wiggly roads. Of course, if the roads really do wiggle in real life, they have to on the map as well but none of these battles had them. The Neuville map is a fine example of having to fudge the road network. I chose to have narrower fields instead of wiggly roads. While the fields may be narrower, they look natural and the defender has long LOS down the length of the roads that he should have as well.

It also required a lot of creativity to avoid unnatural-looking wiggly roads while keeping the road network reasonably accurate. I just can't play on maps with wiggly roads. Of course, if the roads really do wiggle in real life, they have to on the map as well but none of these battles had them. The Neuville map is a fine example of having to fudge the road network. I chose to have narrower fields instead of wiggly roads. While the fields may be narrower, they look natural and the defender has long LOS down the length of the roads that he should have as well.

Wiggly roads are a nightmare for any map maker. The day Steve announces curved roads or even more choices in angles is the day I jump for joy. :D