Too Much o/t?

Looking at the amount of crap I put up here yesterday, (love those caffine highs)I think maybe the abuse of this board (by me) should be stopped. In the interest of not having people be forced to wade through my waste of bandwidth, thinking I might have something actually useful to say about CM, I feel that BTS should exercise one of these options:

1)Ban me from the board. (bad for me, good for everyone else)

2)Make me a tester so I have something useful to do. (good for me, not so good for everyone else)

3)Fire off a new scenario to shut me up. (great for me, even greater for everyone else)

So I will leave this in the capable hands of BTS, and hope that in their wisdom, they will do the right thing.

Craig (looking for a purpose in life)

How about option 4:

So long as it ain't abusively off topic just let it ride wink.gif

A board exclusively dedicated to the exact game mechanics in CM would be boring to the point of tears wink.gif.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

49 posts in almost two months?!

Bah! You have to do much worse than that to be considered a nuisance.

Double, or better, triple your posting and you might get to be considered a genuinely tiresome character smile.gif

As it is now... Peanuts!

M.

P.S.

Previous poster among those entirely excluded from this smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 12-20-99).]

Dear Fionn !

I have to disagree strongly !

I think I would benefit much more from this kind of board than from playing the game itself. This sounds strange, of course, but to me the true beauty of this game lies in the careful modelling, the proper degree of abstraction and the clever algorithms. In all this weeks I did not even have the time to complete one single Combat Mission game (and I do not expect this situation to change anytime soon), but the intellectual satisfaction wink.gif I gain from reading this board will eventually make me buy the game just to contribute to keeping the BTS team going.

So ... what about this new board you mentioned biggrin.gif

Regards,

Thomm

LOL, I hear you loud and clear Thomm.

Currently, via Gespenster, I'm exploring a little bit of the WW2 re-enacting world on the net. Pretty interesting stuff..

There is a lot to learn here.. Oh, and I finally found a nice picture of a Carden-Lloyd carrier with Racketenpanzerbusche 54s mounted. Looks like a hellaciously deadly little ambush vehicle.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Aww c'mon, I really like option 2 or 3 myself (two especially). smile.gif Unfortunately anyone waiting for intellectual satisfaction from me is going to be waiting for a looong time hehe.

Craig

ps. Did anyone find out anything more on the Badger?

Guest Gunnerdream

Badgers!!??...Badgers!!??...we don't need no STINKING Badgers!!!! smile.gif

(With apologies to Mel Brooks)

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Dear Fionn !

I would not bother to make this post if it was not for the few drinks I had too much on our company Christmas party.

What I am going to write next is basically meant as a compliment for Big Time Software and all posters that contribute to this game in terms of game mechanics.

So: I really do not care all too much about World War II. Exotic weaponry is kind of interesting and some of the historical facts that are brought up here help me understand how things worked (out) during this conflict, but really, this is just a side-effect !

What I am really interested in is just what you, Fionn, considered "boring": the game mechanics ! Every day I have to deal with the problem of finding mathematical/numerical models to represent reality as "cheaply" as possible in terms of computational cost (I work in the field of computational micro-mechanics).

For me World War II is not more or less than the perfect setting for an evaluation of algorithms for path-finding, threat assessment, tactical and strategical AI, and so on. We, the people, have a "feel" for how a human being should behave under situations it is exposed to in Combat Mission. The same is not true for any setting in the future or involving Alien species. Hence, it is much more complicated to do Combat Mission than Command and Conquer (e.g.).

So, what I want to express is that even though I am not particulary interested in World War II, the achievements made by Big Time Software with respect to Modelling and Simulation of a historical conflict (with limited computational power) fascinate me. In the very beginning of my presence on this board I made some attempts to "attack" Big Time Software on their approaches and modelling strategies. Every time they came up with an explanation which completely convinced me and satisfied me intellectually <sup></sup>. This is what attracts me about this game and this board.

So, to conclude, the message of this post is that this game/board is not only of interest for World War II fanatics, but also from a standpoint of someone who has to deal with computer models in general. This is meant as a compliment !!

Okay, I already wrote too much ...

Regards,

Thomm

P.S.: By the way, the thing may be called "Raketenpanzerbüchse"

Yeah, easy to be a smart-ass when you come from a German speaking country wink.gif

P.P.S: Although I try not to be too involved with all this World War II business .... IT WAS A F... GREAT FEELING TO STAND IN FRONT OF THIS JAGDPANTHER in the Imperial War Museum.

I'll Raketenpanzerbusche you Thomm.. Don't think just cause you can generate fancy firepower curves for me you're safe wink.gif.

Put a c into a word and the whole world is your critic wink.gif... Anyways those damned Germans SHOULD have included a c in Raketen.. It looks much better that way wink.gif. I can't be held responsible for every flaw in the German language wink.gif hehe.

Actually, I think I was a little misinterpreted Thomm (although I can see I left myself open for it).

What I meant was that the board would be boring if NO-ONE interacted on a more personal level. If we ALL just talked about modelling of factors all day every day it would get samey after a while. I definitely enjoy talking about the factors involved in modelling things but I also like the fact that (with some extremely notable and unwelcome exceptions) people on the board are nice and some personal banter occurs too.

E.g. Matt "lil tanks" Faller and myself, PBEM opponents (e.g. Elvis and Mr Peng (what the hell is up with that name anyways? wink.gif ) )

So, tell me Thomm, are you ready to admit the 3D is great? (better than 2D even? wink.gif ).

Cue drumroll as we all wait for Thomm's inevitable hangover to clear and him to check the board.

------------------

Fionn Kelly