Help: A Delaying Action

Help! I'm banging my head against the wall with this scenario!

Whether I try a direct attack over field (using arty to take out the two 88s first), or a flanking attack to the East, I just don't seem to be able to do better than fighting to a draw.

I've tried arty on harassment ROF from a single tube in an attempt to maximise the number of targets I can hit, but this approach seems to always run out of time. Smoke screens seem to get my units closer before being cut to pieces by enfilading fire. Breaking squads into smaller teams doesn't help much either.

Any advice??

My only advice is to attrit-attrit-attrit. Its easy to make it to the road if there's nobody alive on the roadway to oppose your advance. The tough part is beyond the road where LOF is blocked until you're right in the enemy's lap (heh heh ;)). In that case its back to attrit-attrit-attrit again. Don't send a squad of infantry to do what fifteen rounds of Sherman HE fired from point blank can do for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just started playing this recently and have been restarting it two times already. Leaving these notes for anyone else googling this mission.

It's one of those annoying maps where you're not given a proper briefing to match the situation, and you feel the 'hand of god' against you - the layout of the map seems to be designed to maximise the enemy position while leaving you no avenue of approach. Also, the action square system means that your infantry can't take advantage of the railroad slope, and your tanks can't really get a good hull down, since either they will be one square too far back or they will drive up on the railroad proper, fail to depress their main gun, and be sitting ducks for the enemy AT.

There is however a bug (?) that helps the player, in that there are a few action squares at the starting area where there's LOS through the dense forest, your mortars can fire from here directly at the two 88s at the railroad and take them out.

• 8 years later...

This just isn't a fun or well-designed scenario, at all, for the reasons listed by Bulletpoint, so I wouldn't worry too much about not figuring it out. It is designed to leave no options to win other than to be gamey and take out positions exposed on previous play-throughs. It might be for some players, but for me, unwinnable (unless gaming it) meat grinding slog-fests like this are not my cup of tea because they lack all the strategic element CM was designed to simulate.