Update on model progress

Guest Big Time Software

Guest phoenix

What was that American (?) tank that had

TWO guns. One on the side was I think a

105. Then it had a regular turret too with

another gun.

What was that called? And is it in there?

Phoenix:

The tank you are thinking of was the M3 Grant. It had a 75mm gun mounted in a sponson, plus a 37mm gun in the turret. Some models had a small revolving cupola with a .30 cal MG. The Grant saw much service with the Commonwealth forces in North Africa. It was not used in NW Europe.

Slightly surprised the AVRE isn't in; 180 were converted from mk IIIs and IVs for Normandy alone. They were also used for the duration of the NW Europe campaign. Now the German Puma A/C, that was a RARE vehicle. Only 101 ever built and only half those served in the west (in two Pz Divs; Pz Lehr and 2nd Pz) smile.gif

Duruti,

Stay away from my Puma.. There there, the bad man didn't mean it boy.. Any AC with a 50mm gun is alright in my book wink.gif.

Seriously though you gotta realise its easy to turn a 234/1 into a 234/2 by simply elongating the barrel a bit.. A vehicle which uses basically the same model can go in much more easily than an AVRE which does require a bit more work to convert in than a 234/2 does.

Kevin,

You'll be amused to know that that exact quote came up when testers were discussing flamethrower tanks. That and a few more about pressurisation etc.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

LOL Fionn smile.gif

BTW, Have you seen any of those 'Die Deutschen Panzer' series of videos from VAF?

If you're a Puma fan you'll love No.8 in the series 'Half-tracks and Armoured Cars' - it features some ultra-rare newsreel footage of a troop of Pumas, from the 'Lehr', on patrol near St Lo...

What no AVRE!!! No 280mm gun!!! Nooooo! So we can't take the front off a building in one shot!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ah well just hafta do it with something else

------------------

"I'm tired of quotes, tell me what you know"

-Mark Twain

290mm actually.

Durutti,

Nope I haven't actually seen them. I must get a "review" section to CMHQ for book and video reviews so I can canvass for these videos etc..

One thing I HAVE gotten is I've gotten a company to send me a new 3D card plus 3D glasses which people have told me really work with CM ( people told me that I should try this so I contacted the company and made the proposal.. They responded nicely so here's hoping it works). I intend to post a review of this prior to game release to tell you all if it really does work.

IF it does then you actually will get to see shells coming towards YOU as you watch, same with tanks etc.. I know two people with it who say it is amazing so I hope it works...

I'd advise everyone who is thinking of upgrading their 3D card at the moment to hold on and not upgrade until I post this review of this product.. If it works as well as I've heard it does then it might just be worth getting.

We'll see when I get my review copy of course.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Mike T, I have tried to do that where I can, but most often than not they don't look so good. The main reason is to do them up right requires quite a number of extra polygons and special attention to textures (i.e. more VRAM). One of the limiting factors is that I only have so many textures I can apply to one vehicle, so if the vehicle has a lot going on already I am very limited as to what I can put on it for baggage. These shortcuts sometimes look good (like a Jerry Can or a single bag someplace), but I have had to leave out far more than I have put on. (you should have seen the M18 textures before I cleaned all that crap off the turret!!!).

AVRE was left out mostly because we don't have time for special case vehicles at the moment. Prime candidate for an addon though. The main difference between an uncommon vehicle like the Puma and the AVRE is that the former was inteneded for "every day use" while the AVRE was a special purpose weapon that was not. Overuse of the Puma by players is not going to undermine CM, but using AVREs too much is. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but only the 79th Armored Division had these in any number?

Plus, I made the Puma back when we had more time. I'd probably not be making it now if it weren't already made wink.gif

Steve

The 79th Armoured, to my recollection, never fought as a single Divisional unit. Brigades/battalions/troops were always sent off for specific duties. They were used mostly for amphibious attacks, accross channels and large rivers. The 79th was used during operation Veritable, those DD tanks were invaluable. You would never see one of these specialized thanks rumbling through the woods, or into cities or villages. If there was unlimited time for BTS, and unlimited processing power, then, ou could have every single freakish vehicle ever used.

I have a question though. For some American tanks during the battle for Normandy they had a rudamentary plough welded on the front of their Shermans and Stuarts in order to cut through hedgerows. Is this going to be taken into account in CM or, is it just too complicated of a thing to add which was only just used in a small region?

Yeah, the British loved those little Carriers. They can only really withstand Macnine Gun fire, and with that open top, they are even not safe from that! The WASP was probably more of a stopgap type device, when there weren't enough Crocodiles around, or, when they didn't have to worry about fierce resistance. I am sure that it wasn't up-armoured very much, and could not take any hit from an AT gun (especially with all that flammible stuff in it!).

Just another quesiton. I don't know if they were used in large numbers, but, the Canadians developed a tank called the RAM. I know that this was based off the Sherman, and wasn't used in combat in its original form. But, they created APC's from these vehicles and I am wondering if they are included? I don't know any technical details, wether they were open topped and all, or anything else about them.

Guest Big Time Software

Major Tom, that is my understanding of the 79th as well. And with so many "funnies" on establishment, they would have problems being in the frontlines all the time. Again, something like the ARVE is a special purpose weapon, not something designed for every day use.

All Shermans and Stuarts from July on can (slowly) go through hedgerows. Within a couple of weeks of the start of July a tank that was dong bocage duty would have been outfitted with one, so it is simulated by default. No graphic for this though, as that would require doing up way too many models!

I looked at a couple of T16s and UCs that were for sale. I was amazed at how unsatisfactory they were in terms of protection. If the driver/gunner were above average height of the day (say... 5' 6" or less) their heads would be exposed to small arms fire. When you are in an armored vehicle you shouldn't have to DUCK smile.gif

Actually, the RAM was based on the M3 chasis, which was used for the Grant and Lee. The Sherman was based on the M4 chasis, which in turn was based on the M3. We do have the RAM Kangaroo in the game. We chose the latter model that had the MG turret installed.

Steve

Major Tom:

The Ram was derived from the power train and suspension of the M3. Since it was expected that the Brits were going to order a large number of M3's, Montreal Locomotive Works was tabbed to build a number of them. Due to changing requirements, it was decided that a new tank could be built in Montreal, and the Ram was born. It was considered to be a vast improvement over the M3, except for the fact that it was armed with a 2 pdr. This was partly mitigated by the fact that the turret front plate was removable, allowing a gun change to be fairly easy. The Ram I had a completely cast hull and turret, and sponson doors on either side of the hull, plus the 2 pdr gun. 50 were built. The Ram II had the 6 pdr gun, and 1899 were built, many going over to England, where they made excellent training vehicles. It was decided that it was not practical to arm the Ram with a 75mm gun, so all Canadian units had their Rams switched for Shermans before the D-Day invasion. The Ram was used in other forms however, being the basis for the Sexton 25 pdr SPG, and the Ram Kangaroo. The Kangaroo was simply a turretless Ram with bench seats added inside, plus extra grab irons welded to the outside. Kangaroos formed the basis of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, and were first used on the assault on Boulogne.

Two more variants were the Ram Observation Post, that had a dummy gun and extra room inside for plotting equipment and radios. They were used alongside the Sexton in the artillery plotting role. The Ram ARV was fitted with a spade, winch, and jib, and was actually considered for equipping the 79th Armoured until the Churchill was decided to be more suitable.

>>What no AVRE!!! No 280mm gun!!! Nooooo! So

>>we can't take the front off a building in one shot!!!

>>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ah well just hafta do it with something else

If the Brummbar made it in, it's 15cm gun will do wonders. You could also park a Hummel in front of said building as well. Personally, I'd rather have the Brummbar. Better armor protection.

[This message has been edited by Cueball (edited 12-17-99).]

Just for information, AVREs (doled out from the 79th)were used in support of the Brit 11th Armoured Division when it spearheaded the major Goodwood operation. They were used in a mixed group consisting of Sherman Crabs, recce troops and carrier platoons just behind the two leading tank squadrons.