Update on model progress

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

I am constantly asked, by posters and testers alike, how we are doing on models/textures. So here is a small update...

I just made 7 different varations in the last four days. Because I know people are going to ask, they are:

M3A1 (HQ style w/50cal)

M21 (M3 w/81mm mortar)

251/9 (75mm IG)

251/2 (81mm mortar)

7/2 (37mm AA)

Universal Carrier (Bren)

Universal Carrier (Vickers)

Also did up a really nice US M20. Dunno when you Beta folks will see 'em, but the gaps in our models are filling in nicely. Also have about a half dozen new texture sets you haven't seen for existing models (inlcuding a dandy M26 Pershing).

Here is a list of all models AND textures that are TOTALLY done. There are many, and I mean MANY, that are in various states of completion besides this list. That means that the model is in, but textures aren't complete in most cases. All of the basic models are built, but some (like HT variations) need some futzing to be something else. So if you don't see your favorite vehicle on this list, don't assume that it will not be included!!!!

Sherman Jumbo

Cromwell

H39

Pz IV

Panther G (Late)

Jagdpanther

Puma

SPW 251/1 Halftrack

Stug III G

Jeep

US Shermans of all types

Tiger I E

Jagdtiger

King Tiger

Sherman 105

M10 TD

M18 Hellcat

Humber

M8 Armored Car

Panther G Early

Stuart Kangaroo

M36 Jackson

Sherman IIc Firefly

Sherman Vc Firefly

M24 Chaffee

StuH 42

Sherman IIa

Jumbo 75

Achillies

Universal Carrier (Mortar Carrier)

Assault Boat

Daimler AC

Jeep w/50cal

Nashorn

Hummel

SdKfz 7/1

Jagdpanzer IV

Jpz IV w/skirt

Jagdpanzer IV L70

Jpz IV L/70 w/skirt

M3 HT

M21 Mortar Carrier

US T8 Scout Car (really a turretless Stuart)

Note that we have more US Shermans than you can shake a stick at, but I only put in one entry in the list. All said and done, we are in great shape. I've saved the "easy" ones for last, so they are going in pretty fast now.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 12-15-99).]

Guest Paul Roberts

"Assault Boat"? Does that mean that there will be Normandy beachhead scenarios available in the game? I was under the impression that COMBAT MISSION's coverage begins on June 7. Perhaps "assault boat" means something other than a Landing Craft... River crossings?

Along these lines, will there be beach terrain (and cliffs) available in the map editor? This would make it possible to put together a D-Day scenario with the men just off the LC's, even if amphibious operations are not modelled in the game.

Guest Big Time Software

The Hetzer and Priets models are some of the OLDEST ones in the game. They were made prior to many code changes and conceptual changes. They were also based on placeholder graphics. Because of all of this, both have been totally redone. The models are in, but the textures aren't completed yet. The Priest's set needs a lot of work so I have been blowing it off smile.gif

Assault Boat is a small, non-powered, river crossing craft. Basically a rowboat. We put them in for the odd river crossing scenario or two, not for massive amphibious ops. You can make cliffs, but the terrain necessary to create beaches is not a part of CM. Neither are powered landing craft.

Steve

BTS;

Last Fall, while perusing the CNET demo files for a game I was looking for, I came across the CM Beta. When I couln't find the game I was looking for I downloaded CM. Let me just say this: it's the finest game I have ever seen. Furthermore I am impressed with the attention and honesty shown by BTS toward gamers. And finally, I am greatly impressed with the sophistication and friendliness of the people who post in this forum. Kudos, and keep up the good work.

Now, if I could ask 2 questions: absolutely no criticism implied, but do you think ( as CoolColj has suggested) that terrain textures are just slightly too dark? Is there a reason for this or just your preference? I defer to either, of course. Second: How do I get the game: will stores have it? Thanks for your time....

Guest coolguy101

TOBRUK,

The terrain textures have been redone.There are screenshots of the terain at the CMHQ site.

coolguy__101

------------------

jason

[This message has been edited by coolguy101 (edited 12-15-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hello Tobruk, thanks for the kind words! Glad you found us too.

Yes, we have redone the grass textures 3 times since the Beta Demo. The final set is really great and is in *some* of the latest pics up on Combat HQ (TGN). However, there are some up there that are using older sets, so if you look at them and are confused, it isn't you smile.gif

No, Combat Mission is sold through Battlefront.com only.

Steve

Howdy, BTS!

Nice vehicle list. I have to say I'm greatly impressed by the smallest of vehicles: the rowboat! smile.gif Seems neat and fluffy to me. I would just LOVE to see one of those in CMHQ. Is it possible?

Lad, I'm going to make LOTS of scenarios with rowboats (I'm even planning to make some 'covert ops' like scenarios, thanks to FOW. Stay tuned...)

A happy assault boat sailing Reverend

smile.gif

Well, in defence of the mixing of textures in pictures on CombatHQ I must say that I haven't been able to take pictures of battle action cause of some of the snazzy things none of you are allowed to see yet wink.gif

This means that instead of showing you pictures made on my latest build I'm having to make them using much older builds or the beta demo.

Hopefully I'll be allowed to change that but probably not until the gold demo comes out ;(

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Nope, the AVRE is not on the CM 1.0 list of escential vehicles. As is often the case with CC, they made a very uncommon, special use vehicle seem like it was the super weapon of the war. I'm sure a lot of CC fans are going to be VERY disapointed with the realistic modeling of the Croc and other flame vehicles smile.gif

Steve

Well, they're not as all-powerful as some games would have you believe. Against a shattered enemy a flametank is terribly powerful but against a well dug-in enemy with a good defence it is awfully vulnerable.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Against a shattered enemy a flametank is terribly powerful but against a well dug-in enemy with a good defence it is awfully vulnerable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, I've always considered them a sort of mop-up weapon. The lazy man's way of bayoneting the wounded smile.gif.

-Bullethead

Guest Big Time Software

Major Major, check out the flamethrower thread that is kicking about today. In it I gave some specifics. Basically... fuel consumption in CC is all wrong, and so the Croc basically only gets to spit a couple of times and then runs out of fuel. In CC you can flame everything in sight and still have flame to spare from what I recall.

Steve

Got a question about the Universal Carriers. What exactly can they carry? I have seen pictures of these things, and even one up close and personal in Quebec City. They can tow just about any Allied AT Gun, but, what can they tote in troops? They can fit the Driver and Gunner, and possibly 2-3 other people cramped in the back. Indeed, I have seen even smaller Belgian Tractors (in pictures) carry around 4 guys, but, this was not in actual battlefield conditions (more like down a highway). Other than a portable Machinegun what use are Universal Carriers other than moving AT guns? Or is this all?

Guest Big Time Software

Good question. In fact, we had to do quite a bit of research to find the answer ourselves smile.gif They carried either 3 or 4 men. Standard crew was 3 for all vehicles except the earlier (and not in CM) Scout model. The driver and gunner sat up front. The third man rode in back. They could, however, pack more men in than that, but it was similar to guys riding on the back of a tank (i.e. they were NOT protected).

Steve

Major Major:

The Crocodile carried 1818 litres (400 gal) of fuel in the armoured trailer, along with five nitrogen tanks and the fittings, etc. This was good for about 80 seconds of fire, either continously, or in bursts. Maximum range was about 120 yards with a tailwind, but 80-100 yds was more likely. This is from the "Illustrated Encyclopedia of 20th Century Weapons and Warfare."

Richard III:

I may be off base on this, because I can't find the info now, but it seems to me that the Kettenkraftrad was originally designed as an air portable equipment that could be used by the Fallschirmjager to go places motorcycles couldn't get to, and to haul around the various types of AT weapons they were to use. After the utility of the design was proven, everybody wanted to use them, and did. I read somewhere that they were popular with farmers after the war- used as tractors.

I also had a picture of three Marines firing a 106mm recoiless rifle that was mounted on the frame of a mechanical mule (this was in Vietnam in 1968).

[This message has been edited by Kevin Peltz (edited 12-16-99).]