Vehicle Set-Up Movement Delay

Guest Robert Hall

Guest Robert Hall

Is there any logic to the starting delay a vehicle gets at the beginning of Turn 1?

When starting off a column of tanks on the road in say Chance Encounter, you can always guarantee the tanks with the longest start delays will be at the front of the column and those with the shortest at the rear, resulting in a nice concertina accident on the start line when everybody tries to move off or doesn't as the case may be!

Sometimes in the set-up phase you are told a tank maybe has a 10 second delay so he obviously goes to the back. All others appear to have a 0 second delay at set-up but when you go to give your Turn 1 orders the one at the front has usually acquired a 13 second delay while the one following has an 8 second delay and it is then too late to change the line up of the tanks.

Is a longer delay more likely if the tank is carrying passengers? Is a longer delay more likely if you change the passengers on a tank during the set-up phase? Is a longer delay more likely with different types of passengers? Or is the starting delay totally random?

Any insights, suggestions or observations from others welcome.

Robert

Robert,

I have no idea why there are vehicles that have, what seems to be, penalties at setup.

I’m thinking specifically about the Sherman in CE that has a 45 second delay.

Bug?

But, and this is the norm, the movement delay is related to the experience level plus individual and C&C status (the latter not applying to vehicles in the demo).

If you have a column you want to start, put the veterans at the front.

Alternatively you could just use the "P" delay order.

Or, even better, or use "M" move for the vehicles in the rear, a short "M" move and then accelerate up to "F" fast, in order to open up the column a bit.

You’ll get the hang of it in a bit smile.gif

M.

P.S.

Oh, I don´t think passengers have anything to do with it.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 12-19-99).]

I get that 45 sec delay about 1/3 of the time. A semi-related question, if we group move a column of vehicles in the final, how will we keep them out of a huge traffic jam if their delay times don't match up?

Craig (wishing he lived somewhere else)

Does indeed seem to be a freak occurrence. In the setup phase One of the two Shermans to the right gets a “delay” of 45 seconds. Unless I have imagined this all, one of those on the road has a 10 second delay, again in the setup phase.

While the 10 second delay isn’t very noticeable in the first turn, the 45 seconds definitely makes a difference.

Hopefully Ill be able to get a screenshot of it too smile.gif

M.

Guest Robert Hall

Mattias

I have not experienced the 45 second delay you mention in CE, thankfully.

Just set up a new pbem of Riesberg and the tanks' starting delays were 13 seconds for each of the 3 Regular Shermans and 10 seconds for the Veteran Sherman so your suggestion would appear correct. Thanks.

Fionn, thanks for some, er, shall we say fairly "brief" answers. If "Yes" for the first question, what is the logic? Can you please be a little more "explicit" with the logic wink.gif or has Mattias hit the nail on the head?

Thanks, Robert

You get the 45 sec. delay, if you move the mortar off the tank in the set-up phase and only ten seconds for the machine-gun or other troops. So maybe the "bug" is that you get a heavier delay penalty for re-deploying the mortar crew...

Huron

[This message has been edited by Huron (edited 12-19-99).]

Guest Robert Hall

Whoa Doug! How can it possibly spoil CE for you when you have already surrendered to me on Turn 10 wink.gif ? Anyway I never said how many there were in the column wink.gifwink.gif . Maybe you did not even have a chance to see them all wink.gif .

I also cannot believe a 5 second difference in delay is giving anything away to you in Riesberg - unless that is you are moving all your defensive troops to the rear of the map perhaps and need that extra 5 seconds for them to all get away wink.gif ?

Robert