The official CMPzC Operations "how to" guide

Because Fizou has published an AAR using an inferior version of my system for using PzC as the operational layer for CM, i have been forced to present this "how to" guide before i have finished it. It is very close to completion, and i will point out any additions as i make them. So before people get used to the inferior version of my system, i am presenting the official version that i have been working on with the help of Poesel, Kuderian, Fizou, Eric Cole and others who have play tested various versions and helped modify the rules.

Presenting this publicly will also allow forum members to ask questions, and hopefully iron out any wrinkles.

Here is the link to the website containing the guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/cmpzcoperations/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had an email from Fizou about the CMPzC AAR posted in the CMFI forum, and it was all down to a misunderstanding.

Fizou had mentioned posting a proposal for a CMPzC AAR teaser in a thread i had posted on, and he assumed i had read it, and therefore tacitly approved it.

I am currently producing the operational starting deployment AAR screenshots for a CMPzC Normandy 44 operation i am going to run on the CMBN forum, so watch this space.

I have removed the ability to reinforce a CM battle. I have done this for the following reasons:

It reduces the maximum amount of CM units in a single battle to a battalion of foot plus support weapons per side.

It simplifies the operational game play.

It conforms to the hex stacking limit rule.

Because of the operational layer, flanking can now be performed at the operational level.

Whoops! My comments should have been in THIS thread. sorry.

Hey noob,

Hang in there. Maybe it is seeming sometimes like you are building a shed in your backyard or whatever and every Tom, Dick and Harry in the neighborhood seems to stroll by and drink one of your beers and poke and prod and ask why you are using 3/4 inch and not 1 inch, etc. But I see a lot of folks here seem to be genuinely supportive and making good suggestions.

...and speaking of suggestions ;-)

Maybe it is just me but in the how to guide I would like to see a color coded "typical turn cycle". Your page has black and blue already so I dunno. Black, Red, Blue?

Black is the overall phases of the PzC turn, as if you didn't even have CM involved.

These right?

• Allied Movement Phase

• Axis Defensive Fire Phase

• Allied Offensive Fire Phase

• Allied Assault Phase

• Axis Movement Phase

• Allied Defensive Fire Phase

• Axis Offensive Fire Phase

• Axis Assault Phase

Red shows within these black PzC phases if/when some data transfer is required either direction.

Blue then shows the CM battle itself.

This typical cycle diagram could show people the rhythm of your overall CMPzC concept.

Indeed as you develop particular parts, rules, detailed explanations in the how to guide, they could be numbered, section 4.3. etc Then in the turn cycle diagram you could reference them "See sec 4.3, 5.2 and 6.4. etc."

Thanks for the beer. The shed is looking great.

Whoops! My comments should have been in THIS thread. sorry.

Indeed they should. Bit of a security breach there, considering you are the Allied CO :)

Thanks to "copy and paste" I can repeat myself, without having to repeat myself :) So here I go....thanks for the input, but I play PzC with Volcano Man's optional rules. This removes the separation between movement, firing, and assault. Therefore, in a VM PzC game, an operational phase consists of an Allied Turn 1, then an Axis Turn 1, that's it. Moves, fires and assaults can all be done whenever the player wants within the turn. This makes the game more fluid, and reduces the amount of emails sent back and forth. However, I do impose a restriction on a PzC turn for CMPzC, and that is to suggest that players perform all moves and fires before any CM assaults are carried out.

I could do as you suggested for players wishing to play the way you outlined, but I prefer Volcano Man's version, so that's the version I intend to promote.

My only experience with PzC has been "Bulge '44" and using the stock standard rules, well, maybe somewhat modified I think there was a manual mode you could go to for fire? I didn't do any forum browsing for PzC and didn't know of Volcano Man's rules. I will research that aspect and then see how my suggestion should be rewritten.

But I think even with VM rules your how to guide should show a typical cycle of play and when data transfer occurs.

I still think that to sell/promote this CMPzC concept it needs the reader to see it as a fluid, easy to grasp system and thus maybe you SHOULD even show you've adopted an even better turn system. If this is buried in a thread, then shame on me for missing it, but your "how to" guide should probably consolidate right at the intro any really hard hitting salesmanship. You want forum members to see this not as a confusing hassle but as something they can quickly get their heads round (your words).

And while I was in the axis HQ I didn't understand a thing. It was all in German!

Do you happen to have PzC Bulge 44 by the way? And do you also have CMFI GL? Maybe, or maybe not, a good long range idea is that you and I do a small CMPzC Battle of the Bulge AAR using PzC Bulge 44 and CMFI GL as our snow seasoned stand-in. It couldn't be Waffen-SS but could be a lot of other very interesting battles.

@Kohlenklau - I looked at the section i have written about playing the PzC demo scenario: https://sites.google.com/site/cmpzch2hoperations/panzer-campaigns/pzc-demo-scenario, and although I am happy with that page, I do agree with your point about a simpler pictorial representation of a typical CMPzC turn, and, I also take your point about the location of such a representation. I will create a diagram in the Introduction section, that way it's the first thing browsers see.

I do have Bulge '44, but there's not much point playing that, when I there is the PzC Normandy '44 Caen demo scenario, with ready built CM maps for the VL's, and a PzC OOB modified to reflect the default head counts of the equivalent CM units. Therefore, I suggest we play the PzC Caen demo scenario H2H, then farm out the CM battles to the players that have already signed up to play as CM players. I can get rid of the team DB folders, and we can just use the communal one to pass PzC turns to each other, and also have access to our teams CM vids. So, if you are ok with that, we can proceed, with me starting the scenario as the Allies and performing Allied Turn 01 with an AAR on the Allied HQ thread. Please make sure your version of the PzC demo scenario is the one with the hex stacking limit of 600.

I knew you probably had something in there. But see? It was buried a bit. Also, a paragraph of boring black text can always be beaten by something more graphic.

Caen demo OK I guess. I see your point about ready built maps.

OOB already modified is the stuff I don't know beans about (yet).

I will re-download from your current link in your sig and extract and overwrite my old one.

Correct?

IMHO, a CMPzC Bulge 44 AAR (maybe later on?:D ) would create more of a stir of interest. Not to bash him in any way, but while choppinlt is still back in the hedgerows, you are showing the future!!

My scenario dialog screen is similar but different to yours.

(FYI I am version 1.13 in the "about" menu item. )

I see the same toggle bar between Axis and Allied 100-0-100.

Same along the bottom OK Rules Help.

My top has 2 rectangles.

Allies A/I with 3 radio buttons and Axis A/I with same 3 radio buttons.

Manual, Automatic and Automatic with FOW.

I knew you probably had something in there. But see? It was buried a bit. Also, a paragraph of boring black text can always be beaten by something more graphic.

Agreed, I will rectify it at some point.

Caen demo OK I guess. I see your point about ready built maps. OOB already modified is the stuff I don't know beans about (yet).

I will re-download from your current link in your sig and extract and overwrite my old one.

Correct?

Correct. Modifying the OOB is essential to make this system more accessible. PzC companies are always larger than CM ones, so they need to be trimmed down, which is a lot neater than tacking on platoons to CM companies to conform to PzC head counts. Therefore, once a CM battle generated by this operation starts, I intend to use the time to edit the whole Normandy'44 OOB, and attach it to a page in the guide. This will allow anyone with the full game to be able to play all the stock scenarios, and even the GC, in CMPzC mode.

IMHO, a CMPzC Bulge 44 AAR (maybe later on?:D ) would create more of a stir of interest.

Unlike Sauron, i'm turning my eye to Bagration. I would like to have this operation almost completed by the time Bag comes out. That way, BFr's will have had plenty of time to digest the rules and gameplay. However, now you have exposed yourself as a "Bulge" boy, there's no reason why two operations cannot run together. Let's see how this runs first.

I will process Allied Turn 01 tomorrow, write up an AAR in the Allied HQ thread, (so no peeking), and then inform you of any assaults (CM battles), which there will definitely be at least one of :)

As of now you are the Axis CO, and you should say hello to the Axis CM players that have signed up to the Axis team. Your team is Strachwitz, Ian Leslie, and Tank Hunter. Strachwitz has first pop at the first CM battle, but he is AWOL at the moment, so it will fall to Ian if Strachwitz does not show.

As of now you are the Axis CO, and you should say hello to the Axis CM players that have signed up to the Axis team. Your team is Strachwitz, Ian Leslie, and Tank Hunter. Strachwitz has first pop at the first CM battle, but he is AWOL at the moment, so it will fall to Ian if Strachwitz does not show.

Er ... and me 09wl.gif

Forgotten again !! lol

Bulge Boy? Have you been eavesdropping on my missus?

band_of_brothers_foy_attaque.jpg

Bagration. OK, am all for it. Just we aint got no stand-ins or real Soviets for a while.

Does PzC have a Bagration version? I don't even know.

Bulge we could whip up and get cracking.

I'm the Axis CO? Oh man, have I been building up to this my entire life.

Stalingrad030.jpg

It is Saturday night and I am having a Shiner Oktoberfest

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSZiu5EyqxFUDCYmLuxFjQgGEZ7O2AnMCzuGZUKS6vv7MNdMr

So we need some humor.

From now on everyone on the axis team gets a German sounding name. here are my proposals

Baneman= Banenheimer

Ian Leslie = Einen Los

Tank Hunter = (naturally) Jagd Panzer or is it Panzer Jager, I aint no grammar expert in my own language

Strachwitz = uhhhh, errr, can't think of a good one, dang! maybe it'll come to me.

Ende!

My scenario dialog screen is similar but different to yours.

(FYI I am version 1.13 in the "about" menu item. )

I see the same toggle bar between Axis and Allied 100-0-100.

Same along the bottom OK Rules Help.

My top has 2 rectangles.

Allies A/I with 3 radio buttons and Axis A/I with same 3 radio buttons.

Manual, Automatic and Automatic with FOW.

You need to click on PBEM or Two Player Hot Seat to get the same new scenario dialog screen. The screen you describe only comes up when you select to play against the AI, then you use that screen to chose your side.

It is Saturday night and I am having a Shiner Oktoberfest

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSZiu5EyqxFUDCYmLuxFjQgGEZ7O2AnMCzuGZUKS6vv7MNdMr

So we need some humor.

From now on everyone on the axis team gets a German sounding name. here are my proposals

Baneman= Banenheimer

Ian Leslie = Einen Los

Tank Hunter = (naturally) Jagd Panzer or is it Panzer Jager, I aint no grammar expert in my own language

Strachwitz = uhhhh, errr, can't think of a good one, dang! maybe it'll come to me.

Ende!

This is definitely not the place for this sort of behaviour. Get yourself to an Axis HQ thread ! :)