Interesting - Buddy-Aid and ammo

Now of course it could be that everyone knows/knew this and I'm late to the party as usual, but I noticed something unusual in my current QB with buddy-aid.

It seems that when you complete buddy-aid, you get some ammo along with the weapon, which makes sense. But I was thrown to notice that at the end of the turn, the ammo count jumps a lot !

Examples: ( in all these cases, an MG42 was picked up replacing a K98 )

2 men - K98/MP40

9mm : 76 (fires a burst) : 69 ( buddy-aid completes) : 69 ( turn ends ): 142

7.92 : 96 (buddy-aid completes) : 123 ( turn ends ): 497

2 men - K98/K98

9mm : 0 ( buddy-aid completes) : 0 ( turn ends ): 0

7.92 : 357 (buddy-aid completes) : 400 ( turn ends ): 717

4 men - K98/K98/K98/MP40

9mm : 16 ( buddy-aid completes) : 16 ( turn ends ): 62

7.92 : 218 (buddy-aid completes) : 228 ( turn ends ): 546

3 men - K98/MP40/MP40

9mm : 94 ( buddy-aid completes) : 94 ( turn ends ): 167

7.92 : 75 (buddy-aid completes) : 125 ( turn ends ): 476

Interestingly every team that had an MP40 got some 9mm ( even though they were buddy-aiding an MG42 carrier ), but the guys who had no MP40 got none.

I'm just surprised at the way this works, I thought that whatever ammo you got when you finished aiding the guy was "what you got from him".

If I understand the OP, you're saying two things:

1) It's odd that MP40 bearers picked up ammo from a downed MG team that wasn't MP40-armed. But could the 9mm ammo have come from the MG team's pistols?

2) There's a huge jump in ammo numbers at the end of a turn after buddy aid.

This second one is indeed weird, and I can't say I've ever noticed it. Does the jumped-up ammo tally persist into the next turn and thereafter?

Also, did this happen under weird circumstances such as a game that was continued after patching?

This second one is indeed weird, and I can't say I've ever noticed it. Does the jumped-up ammo tally persist into the next turn and thereafter?

Also, did this happen under weird circumstances such as a game that was continued after patching?

The 9mm thing is just a minor oddity.

Yes, the ammo load amount from the end of the turn persists and is the ammo load now carried.

No, this game was started only a week or two ago and I've been running 2.01 for some months. ( and so has my opponent )

I only noticed because one unit was very low on ammo ( the 96 & 76 round group ) and I was making plans to send them back to a truck. But when I clicked on them in the next orders phase, I saw that suddenly they had plenty. So I then went back and checked all the recent buddy-aiders and saw it was a trend.

I'm going to check it in another game just to make sure, but in seriousness, it would be more odd if it only happened in one game.

Something that I haven't checked ( but I suppose I should ) is whether they ended up with more ammo than they had when the MG42 guy dropped. Unlikely, but the sort of thing that should be checked for completeness...

I believe there are some things that are are not updated/processed until the end of the turn rather than in real-time. It wouldn't surprise me if ammo from buddy-aid is one of these. (It does leave me wondering how this would look in real-time play.)

The final ammo tallies seem a little high for the two-man teams, but not absurdly so. In retrospect, I'm not sure I see a huge problem here. It seems more like just a slight delay in reporting the true amounts.

For the "jump" in ammo at end of turn:

I see the same thing in version 1.11 and have noticed it routinely in many games (I can't say "all" games for sure because I stopped "noticing it" when I came to the conclusion it was normal and routine and had rationalised to myself why it happened).

So my view/rationalisation was/is:

When the buddy aid is finished the ammo picked up is usually very small - probably unrealistically so compared to what the guy was carrying. So I assumed it then took a bit of extra time to collect spare ammo around the fallen guy and this appears a little later. Actually I've often seen it added before the end of the turn if the buddy aid is finished early in the turn. So, say, a 20 or 30 second delay to "collect" the extra ammo that was being carried.